Rebuild parkingbrake (external type)

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Burly
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Rebuild parkingbrake (external type)

Post by Burly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 am

After noticing some oil leaking form the transfercase contaminating the parking brake band i have changed the seal and replaced the brake drum and band with reproductions. I now find that , even following the instructions closely, i cannot adjust it properly.No matter how loose the adjusting bolt is on the passengers side the band will bind a little there. Also i noticed that the ears of the band seem to be pulled towards the J-bolt. I am think that the openings in these ears for the J-bolt are out of place. Maybe i should use a file to widen them to allow the band to sit better. Or perhaps shim the sectio on the passenger side to pull the band away from the drum?
Does anyone have a similar experience? Or is there a better explanation/ method to solve this problem?

After having many problems with my handbrake i would be so happy to finally have one that works (sort of..).

Reinier
ITM 0042418.
Dod on title: 15th sept 1943.
Willys MB chassis.
ACM-2 body nr:8866.

r w devon
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Rebuild parkingbrake (external type)

Post by r w devon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 am

Reinier
This is one of the b***** jobs on the jeep . I'm not sure about the J bolt alignment without a pic . But no.1 job is to check the fit of the band on the post . Too loose and it will always pivot back a forth around the locating bolt on the post and bind on the drum at the j bolt end as it moves back and forth on the drum .
Give the strap mounting ( onto the post) a squeeze in a vice to tighten it up if too loose .
Good luck on the quest ... there are many other things to check but try this first.

Richard
MB 348262

Burly

Post by Burly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 am

WOW Luc! That looks great. Unfortunately my garage is not as well equipped as yours.. I think I'll start with a shim or two, and if that doesn't work I'll elongate the hole in the ears of the band.

Reinier
ITM 0042418.
Willys MB chassis.

majmacs
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:19 am

bantamj wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:03 am
Hello Reinier,
Hope you get some sun and a great weekend!!
Luc
After almost three years on assignment here in Brunssum in the Netherlands....I’m convinced the sun does not reach this country..☹️

Very nice set up to make those linings concentric! Mine was dragging when I flat towed it last time. Couldn’t figure out why, but i bet its because things are not concentric. Are there any drum manufactureres better than others?
Patrick

Burly

Post by Burly » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:20 am

Luc,
If you are offering a set of a milled drum and band, what would be the cost of such a set?

Reinier
ITM 0042418.
Willys MB chassis.

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 am

Unbelievable ! I like that clever solution that saves so much time when we have to adjust the mechanism below the jeep in an uncomfortable position:) !
Too bad that I don't have such a big lathe :D !
Fortunately, I had no problem with the original drum and a NOS WOF band + lining.
I will think to you when I'm going to re-line the original brake band that was on my Jeep :P :).
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Burly

Post by Burly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 pm

I have elongated the holes for the J-bolt in the ear of the band. The band sits a lot better now around the drum. I am not sure if it site well enough to adjust properly, but I think i am on the right track. I will keep you updated

Reinier
ITM 0042418.
Willys MB chassis.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”