MB Motor Mounts

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: MB Motor Mounts

Post by Bruce W » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Good idea. If I didn't rebuild it myself or know who did and what kind of work he normally did, I would check it out too. Too many people seem to think that if they take something apart, clean it up (maybe) and put it back together it can be called "rebuilt". BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Yep, when I "rebuild" an engine everything goes back clean, and new. Some people just slap in a new set of rings and bearing and call it done.

I have seen a video of this engine running, no smoke, no strange noises, but there are oil leaks, and taking it down to the short block also gives me the chance to address that with new gaskets and seals. If I see anything not right, it will go through a thorough rebuild before I put in the Jeep. I am 62 years old, I want this thing as good as it can be first time down the road, so I don't have to go back into it later on.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee
Shade Tree Mechanic more than 50 years.
None of us are as smart as we pretend to be.

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 am

Nope, I have a supposedly rebuilt chain drive cam engine. It is a WW2 engine based on the casting numbers. It has the oddball plate with the left foot forward, the right foot rearward.

The CJ2A I have has both feet facing backwards, but the engine in it now has a cracked block, which is why I bought the other engine.

I do not know of any WW2 application which would have had this mounting, so I assume someone added this plate for installation into something else. Seems like the M38 had that configuration but it's been 25 years since I had my M38 so memory may be faulted.

The M38 would have had a gear driven cam, so if someone used a plate from one of those I guess they had to modify it which I will know when I unbutton the lid.

So, since I found that correct plate, with both feet facing rearward, I am going to install it, and give the engine a good inspection and new seals/gaskets while I have it on the stand.

The engine parts are left over from a previous build 25 years ago which is why I was surprised they were still in my friend's parts shed. That build was a M38, I had two gear drive engines, and one chain drive as cores, and I went with the gear drive design. The left over engine was a Ford GPW, and I am hoping to find the head and the rest of the engine but there are a lot of parts piled into that shed with no sense of order so might take a while.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Well, turns out I was wrong about this engine being a WW2 engine.

The casting number is on a raised oval pad upper front right side of the block. This is what led me to think it was a WW2 engine, and thus would be a chain drive came.

I put it on a stand today to start a tear down, and when I removed the timing cover, much to my surprise, it is actually a gear drive cam, so certainly not a WW2 engine.

I have heard a story about there being some post war military contract with Willys for replacement engines, but have not been able to find any confirmation on tie story.

So, I am not sure what I have. The only engines I have encountered with this oddball mounting plate (Left foot facing forward) were late CJ3A engines, or M38 engines, but that casting number on the oval pad really has me confused.

So, I don't know what I have here.

It is no big problem, as I do have the CJ2a engine currently in the Jeep from which I can get the right front plate, but I sure would like to know the answer to this mystery.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:55 pm

The number on the raised oval pad should be a serial number, not the casting number. The casting number is located on the lower right side of the block. What number is on the raised oval pad?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks Michael,

Appreciate any help with this mystery.

This is what I find on the block.

On the oval pad forward top right side of block = 1595

On the lower right side of block = 6586 82 W3 AN1 - CR N2.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:26 am

It has been many years ago that I worked on any of these, and back then the only source of information for me were some manuals my father had kept from his days in the Army, the public library, and a very grumpy old cuss that made a living working on Jeeps, who wasn't great about sharing what he knew, but had a large junk yard with just about every kind of Jeep ever made.

Now, all it takes is a few strokes on a keyboard to connect to experts willing to share information, and having the Internet also helps a lot for tracking down parts, which makes it a lot easier to do the job right.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee

d25cav
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by d25cav » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:57 am

After cutting and re-welding the left foot to face rearward, I noticed a difference in the height of the engine. The fan blade is about 1/2 " above the shroud, and the carburetor top hits the hood when closing the hood. The radiator support rod also makes direct contact with the crossover tube. Any ideas as to what I may be missing?
LAND OF THE FREE, PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE!
1943 MB
Retired Cav Scout
Sergeant-Major

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am

Install the correct bracket and your troubles are over.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

d25cav
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by d25cav » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 am

Which bracket? The front motor mount plate?
1943 MB
Retired Cav Scout
Sergeant-Major

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Front.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

d25cav
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by d25cav » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Sir, you have confirmed my suspicions, but I wanted to check with pros first. Thanks a heap!
1943 MB
Retired Cav Scout
Sergeant-Major

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”