Rotary light switch harness routing

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Rotary light switch harness routing

Post by JAB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 am

Are there any pictures available showing the how the rotary light switch version of the main long harness is routed under the tub? My Sept. '44 jeep salad came into my world as a partially disassembled basket case and I'm having trouble making sense of the harness. According to the schematics the differences are slight (between the trailer socket versions of push-pull light switch harness and the rotary light switch harness) but the way the original harness was assembled defies common sense. My main concern is that it appears that the harness splits apart in two different places to accommodate the tail lights and trailer socket. In each case the split is near the floor riser, not at the rear panel. I have a list of seven (fairly minor) differences between the two harness styles based on the schematics, but nothing like what I see here, especially concerning the routing. Thanx!

Also, FWIW, I made a direct comparison between an NOS GPW harness and the Beachwood push-pull light switch version that came with the basket case project (he bought the wrong version) of the harness and they are essentially identical, but nothing like the harness that came on this MB as far as where the harness splits and the routing under the tub.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Rotary light switch harness routing

Post by Thunderbird712 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Sorry I can’t post pictures from my phone. However I can tell you that there is nothing different about the routing of a rotary switch harness and a push pull switch harness. I am working on a 45 MB currently and have wired several earlier (push pull switch harness) jeeps. The routing generally stayed the same through the years. The only difference was clip location and welded tab location on the underside of the body. The harness never split at the floor riser. Check out the restoring section at 1945mb.com.
TJ Zackman
1945 Willys MB, 430923, 3/28/45
Scored 98.375% at 2019 MVPA Convention York, PA

1953 M38A1, 69248, 12/53, 20999713
MVPA# 37298

JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: Rotary light switch harness routing

Post by JAB » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:07 am

Thanks. I’ve been looking at that site as as others and all the evidence agrees with your observations. The existing harness looks just like I think it should up until the riser so if it was modified they did a great job making it look original. The only major visible difference in the harness is that it’s wrapped in friction tape instead of vinyl (or whatever the plasticky stuff is) tape.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”