Fuel Filler Extension Tube

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
blackstone
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Fuel Filler Extension Tube

Post by blackstone » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi guys, I have a November 42 MB and am trying to replace the filter in the fuel filler extension tube as the original is long gone. I was going to just solder in a screen as is shown in the Henry Ford Museum plans how ever I have found this photo that was claimed to be of an MB, and now I am not sure how it was done originally, any comments or suggestions please. As you can see it appears to show a sort of protection screen above the filter has any body seen this before, is it original, repro, from something else, any suggestions please. regards Alan.
Attachments
Filler Extention.jpg
Filler Extention.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 266 times

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Fuel Filler Extension Tube

Post by nick peters » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 am

Hey Alan
I think someone has used 'artistic licence' on that filter :roll: As far as I'm aware your on the right track by installing the metal mesh.
regards Nick
ps Lift a glass of the rum for me that you guys make up in Bunderburg

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:37 am

That may be one of the extensions for the M-54 and M-35 6X6.(They fit.) There is more than one screen configuration' that fancy plate is to protect the cone shaped screen. I believe you will find that the extensions for M-35 2-1/2 Ton and 5-Ton M-54 types are all the same length as those used for the MB.
(I'll bet that there is not an official MV event Judge that would even notice.) :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

blackstone
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by blackstone » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 am

Hi Nick and Joel, thanks for replying, I will go with the mesh only and will certainly have a nip for both of you but not to warm up as we are in a heat wave right now. all the best Alan.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”