Renovate clutch plate

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Wocha
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Renovate clutch plate

Post by Wocha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 am

Hi. I have been given a clutch plate rebuild kit containing the springs, fingers, rivets etc. I don't have access to machine shop type tools so is it possible to rebuild the clutch using everyday tools? If so can I have some pointers please? Thanks
1942 Ford GPW 56624

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Renovate clutch plate

Post by Wolfman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 am

Clutch cover or clutch disc ?
From your description, maybe both.
The big thing with the cover is holding the cover down to compress the springs while you remove the fingers. Then you have to be able to keep the cover under control while you release the pressure, so the cover can be lifted off, exposing the springs. I do this in an old screw type press. Otherwise, it is just a matter of disassemble and reassemble.
The disc. That is another story. Takes rivet tools or a rivet machine to remove the rivets that hold the lining to the disc. Setting the rivets correctly, on reassembly is critical.
Replacing the center springs, in a sprung center clutch disc is also not a bolt together operation. The rivets that hold the center hub together are solid rivets. Also getting them set correctly, on reassembly, requires special tools and need to be done correctly.
Not to say you can not do it but it is more than unbolt and bolt back together and you need more than a hammer.
Buying a rebuilt clutch set is a good option.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Wocha
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Wocha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am

Sorry. To clarify.... I mean the clutch pressure plate NOT the disk.
1942 Ford GPW 56624

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am

x2 on wolfman's last line in his response.
If you aren't familiar with the pressure plate overhaul procedure, you might be removing/adjusting it more than once.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 am

Just the cover. Got it.
Holding the cover and keeping the spring pressure on the fingers under control, on disassembly and reassembly, is important. If you just drive the pin out of the finger, on disassembly, you will get a face full of flying parts. :shock: Be Careful !!
On reassembly, main points to check, other than you have it assembled correctly.
Be sure the finger anti-rattle springs are properly installed. If not, they can fly out on start up.
Once the pressure plate is installed on the flywheel, you need to check and adjust the finger height. Three of them. One on each finger.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Wocha
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Wocha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks Wolfman. As the clutch fingers are badly worn on the existing clutch and I already have the rebuild kit i think i will give it a go as i can always get a replacement. As a matter of interest what do the anti rattle springs do. I can see on the drawings something on the end of the fingers but my clutch does not have them. They are in the rebuild kit though.
1942 Ford GPW 56624

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 am

Great photos, BJ.
One of these days , I am going to have to learn how to post them. After I buy something to take them with and down load them from in the first place.
The heavy coil spring does the work. The flat ( anti rattle spring ) keeps the finger from rattling when there is no pressure on it.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 am

I would say we are both right, BJ.
Ever hear a clutch make a rattling noise from the bellhousing when the engine is idling, only for the noise to disappear at higher speeds ??
The anti rattle spring(s) are most likely weak or missing.
At idle, the finger(s) rattle but when the engine speed was increased, centrifugal force holds them tightly in place.
Can't think of any other purpose for the flat "anti rattle " spring.
Maybe the clutch manufacture had a relative that made flat springs ! :lol:
High tech memory. Actually, I do the same thing ! 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 am

Maybe I should be nice to the manufactures relatives.
The flat spring is needed.
On the clutch cover in your picture, the main springs (3) pushes up against the finger, which in turn, makes the outer end of the fingers push down on the adjusting bolts and plate and puts pressure on the clutch disc. It is engaged.
When the clutch pedal is depressed, The throwout bearing pushes the fingers and main springs down in the center, which lifts the outer end of the fingers up and takes the pressure off the adjusting bolts and plates. It is released.
When this happens, pressure is taken off the clutch disc. The flat springs hold the adjusting screw tight against the finger and insure the plate is lifted away from the disc for a clean release. With out the flat spring, on release, the plate would just be flopping around loose. It might rattle. Maybe even drag a little.
For proper clutch release the flat springs are necessary. Not a Borg & Beck cover assembly.
Sorry Mr. and/or Mrs. relative.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Wocha
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Wocha » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:58 am

Well.... I've managed to replace the springs and fingers on the clutch. I have to say it was a bit of a struggle but with the use of a couple of G clamps and much swearing I managed to subdue the little devils. Now my problem is the anti rattle springs that go under the adjusting bolts and over the end of the fingers (bantamj picture DSC04180.jpg and L1150289.jpg). How on earth do they go on.. I've tried everything I can think of including curses with no joy. Is there a trick to it or a special tool.
1942 Ford GPW 56624

Wocha
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Wocha » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Bantamg. That looks soooo easy. I will give it a go later today. Thanks
1942 Ford GPW 56624

Wocha
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Wocha » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 am

Hi bantamg. Yes that video did the trick. Looking at your anti-rattle spring it seemed it was a little more open than mine. A slight tweek with some long nose pliers to open them a touch and with the use of some pliers to twist them a bit then a good hard push they finally went on. Thanks for the advice.
1942 Ford GPW 56624

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”