Are you running with Buckled Rims?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Yonder
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Are you running with Buckled Rims?

Post by Yonder » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Folks, I have been following recent thread on "How long have you run NDTs?" with great interest, and this led me to thinking of another safety issue. The combat rims on these old girls are prone to becoming somewhat buckled, probably due to a hard life with much abuse over the years. And being bolted together in two halves probably doesn't help with rigidity. I have been driving for years with slightly distorted rear wheels, and haven't been too much concerned, although a couple of drivers have mentioned it to me sometimes.The ride seems fine... I don't go over 40 mph. What I want to know is just how much of an issue is it with regard to road safety...I'd love to hear your thoughts, Do I scrap these less than perfect rims, buy new ones, or try to find a company with a hub and a big hydraulic press to true them up.
Thanks..Richard
RANElliott

artificer
banned

Re: Are you running with Buckled Rims?

Post by artificer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 am

They can be straightened/trued.
It is always best to keep the halves in correct relationship to one another.
Marking with a texta will help when separating & re-assembling.
Balancing tyres/wheels can make a big difference to a Jeep's ride quality.

I too was watching the tyre age related thread but bowed out when the head in the sand brigade couldn't possibly accept factual 'educational' information but just continued attacking the messenger & NOT the topic/subject.

No one suggested anyone go throw anything away but members should always be aware of tyre limitations & possible deadly results/consequences.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 am

Guys have been trueing them up for years with no reported failures that I am aware of. I did the same thing; I drove at about 25-30 MPH and had a friend follow me to check out the rears and then get ahead to check out the fronts for a "wobble". When I put on new tires I put the "best" pair on the front I could find. I also use a 20-ton press to straighten up two rims which went on my trailer. I then towed the trailer and had a friend check them from behind on the road with no reported "wobble" any longer. I guess this happens from hitting the curb or something at a speed fast enough to tweak the rim when the wheel is turned way into the curb.

I would be more worried about Bubba having no idea the jeep drums have a left and right tighten and loosen feature and tried to complete that by using an air assisted device rather than his own 4-way tire iron! Cracks, splits and wallowed out lugnut holes can also be as bad as finding that the rim has almost rusted through all around the valve stem hole. At some point, your trusty combat rim becomes a lawn decoration if it can't be saved. The key here is to know when that has happened.

The good news is that the repops Ron has now are worthy of replacing anything suspect...

PS..to add to artificer's post: if you assume that the halves were never mixed up previously you are possibly OK if you have original WWII tires on them. Otherwise, that might not be the case here if they have any post war tires currently mounted on them. If you had a friend with an old school bubble balancer you could try rotating the halves (with tires removed) until you get the "best" balance situation and then mark the two halves for final assembly in that configuration.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:27 pm

I think a lot of the crookedness often comes from the area where the 5 lug bolt holes are. Easily straightened and you don't need a big press, just a big hammer and block of wood or something.
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

Yonder
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Yonder » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:48 am

I thought about jacking up that wheel, placing an axle support under, so that I can spin the wheel and find the bent area, get someone to hold a block of wood against the rim,say at 12 o clock position, then hit it with a big hammer..what we call a sledge hammer, then rotate the wheel some and measure again, BUT would this damage the wheel bearing/axle or other parts ?? Anyone ever done this method...with success..
Thanks Richard
RANElliott

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:24 am

Being that the combat rim is a two-piece construction item....I wonder if a BFH (sledge) beating on the OUTER ring will straighten the bent INNER half.
I don't think it will before you bend the OUTER myself.

There are threads discussing using just the bent INNER and a 20-ton press and steel blocking to straighten it here somewhere on the gee.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

conrod6
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by conrod6 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:00 am

Doesn't anybody else feel that we are pushing it a bit with these (knackered ) wheel rims ? I have seen some jeeps with buckled rims rolling down the road and it looks awful ! Good condition 75 year old rims are one thing but some of the rims I have seen on Ebay just need slinging (or mounting on the wall) .

another can of worms about to be opened (tin hat ready)

Barrie
GPW 101005 DOD 3-2-43 20207773 (actual) Louisville

Joe Friday
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 am

My experience is that the 'tilt' in the tire/wheel assembly that causes the lateral runout is on the back half of the wheel.
This is most often caused by a clown using a coats 40/40 style tire machine with the bead breaker shoe set to the 14-15" wheel setting, not the 16" setting.

Rather than the shoe contacting the tire bead, it hits the rim flange.

Yes, they can be fixed.

I cringed when I saw the video. Not sure which bothers me more, the fact that he was on the phone, of the crude was it was done.
2018 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #419

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 pm

I have a left rear "waggy wheel" that has just enough run out to be visable but cannot be felt. Been like that 46 years.It sort of adds character to my MB. :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Henk
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Henk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm

@bantamj: Who makes "perfectly reproduced combat rims"? I only know of the MD J ones and I agree they are far from perfect.

Mark 1
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Mark 1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:58 pm

I have a set of these supplied by universal Jeep here in the UK, as said, they are great, no trouble. Very useful when you get a puncture, at least you can repair it yourself as was intended :)

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:02 am

Trueing the rims is really inexpensive at a specialized shop, and will be a thousand times better than if done with a BFH, as they have the wheel rotating and checked in all dimensions, and hydraulics pushing exactly where and how it's needed.
Rust is the red line as stated above, even if it could be fixed it's better to find another original by then, they are far from rare, at least in France.

Some think it's unnecessary, but I will also have the complete wheels with tires balanced, that will probably smoothen the ride a bit, and avoid unnecessary stress on the hubs.

Regarding the "coupling" of the two halves, they wer identical from factory and probably not very well balanced, but I think that a straightened rim taken apart might not match perfectly another one if you try to mix the halves, as the reference points to declare a rim "straight" are the two edges and the mounting flange, a lot can be out of round in between !
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

Henk
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Henk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:58 am

Thanks bantamj. You don't know who actually makes them?
Mark 1 has a set from Universal Jeep Supplies, but they say these are finished in black laquer (so not powder coated) and made in South America.
Are these the same ones you refer to?

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 am

I have also heard of two manufactures, MD Juan VS South american ones
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 am

The "south american" ones are a bit more expensive compared to the MD ones, Jeep Sudes sells them for 149 or so ;)
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”