How long have you run NDT's?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Jim M
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

How long have you run NDT's?

Post by Jim M » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:12 am

How long have you run NDT's? I have McCreary NDT's twelve years old, 4500 miles. They look fine, no rot or cracking at this time.
Thank you.
Jim Mulligan

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: How long have you run NDT's?

Post by W. Winget » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 am

GPW (I think Mcrearys) Since '93 starting to show wear on fronts, probably alignment.
9:00 x 16's on CC from Wade Wallace showing some cracking on outer skins in the lug area, but they are from '88-89, so no complaints.
With that much age, they are 'harder' than a fresh set would be as the rubber has aged.
Main problem I discovered: when low on pressure, the front end death wobble appeared (My Command Car) I added air...no death Wobble. Simple fix.
V/R W. WInget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 am

Coker tires here on my jeep. Approaching 18 years, 5200 miles. Garage kept. No signs of cracking, rot, no loss of air pressure. Truly amazing now that you mention it.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Mark 1
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Mark 1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:48 am

Current set purchased from Totec tyres here in the UK March 2016 on new Combats, 20 months old, 4090 miles, at least 200 off the road usage, decent wear rate and a few scratches here and there, good grip on all surfaces except wet grass,,,,,,,,,, but then again what rubber tyre has.

My original set are on solids, can’t say how old, maybe at least 20, but no cracks, slightly taller diameter even though both say 6.00 x 16.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 am

I installed new Goodyear 6.00X16 6 Ply NDT's on my MB in 71, still had half tread and no cracks with 17,000 miles when I swapped them over to my restored MBT in 05. Bought them at Gans for $20.00 Ea back then.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 am

Rather than bragging about how old tyres are, as if it were a badge of honour, all need to be aware tyres have a use by date.
No matter what tyres look like, older than 6 & 10 years @ the most, can be extremely dangerous.

A member in Australia was killed when his vehicle rolled on a 3 hour drive home after a show in Corowa a number of years back.
This rollover was the result of having NDT tyres that were too old!
Here is how to establish what the tyre's manufactured date is.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... 30185158:s
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:50 am

It is an oxymoron, but the newer the tire, the shorter its lifespan
Tires from the 40s, 50s, 60s and even the 70s and 80s tend to hold up very well on our seldom used vehicles
I don't drive very far, but i still have a S3 Goodyear on my carryall, it has a new tube, decent tread and very little cracking
Another member had a set that was about 15 years old that were never mounted. The cracking on the sides was very bad
I have also noticed on the older tires, even when there is no air in them, they do not look flat. The newer ones pancake out at the bottom like a car tire when flat.
What ever was changed on the material tires are made out of has shortened their life greatly
Ernie
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Onmy previous MB jeep i had Nankang NDT tyres on it . They are still on it to this day which is 20 years and still look new. Now who has heard of the manufacturer Nankang ? :o

m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by m3bobby » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm pretty sure they're the tyres that we're on my Focus when I sold it.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

David Hughes
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by David Hughes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 am

I replaced my Denmans after 15 years and 3,500 miles due to age and very light cracking.
1942 GPW 19714
1967 M416
1951 M100
MVPA 8836

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:52 am

Smart move!
If one wants to drive on regular thoroughfares @ regular speeds it is just common sense.
Just grab an elastic band that is old & stretch or alternatively realise rubber that is hardened & is smooth doesn't grip the road.
SAFETY FIRST....brakes, steering & tyre issues can cause death to you & others
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:44 am

My Ferrari has 2004 tyres, I'm still alive.
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:50 am

Our Jeeps have single circuit brakes
Unguided axles
Steering lever on axle
No doors
No roof
No seat belts
No rollcage
Protruding hard parts on the dash
No abs
No crash boxes
No airbags
High COG
Only one stop light
No turn signals
No radials
Drum brakes
No brake assistance
Poor head lights

These put your life at risk a million times more than old rubber
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:16 am

In working with military vehicles now for about 42 years, I have driven and towed many, the only incident I had was towing my 3/4T Command Car with it's original skins back from Kansas to Georgia in a two day trip. As I was going fast (55+) the rear tread gave way on one of the tires leaving a ballooned but bald tire for me to remove and replace.
Another inner flat on my Deuce has been flat for two years, made several short trips, but I don't drive her around far due to that. (have to make time to change it...)
My point is that most properly made military tires have multiple plys, making them much safer than a tire on your modern car. Newer tire companies selling newer NDTs may not be applying multiple plys like the originals were made, hence sagging with low air and less tire life. Some foreign tire companies may be using less than great materials as well.

By all means if you have the cash change everything you can whenever you can, but I've never experienced a NDT failure that amounted to much.

Driving for three hours at high speed in a jeep may mean his tires had low pressure and heated up, causing failure.

If you will recall a great stink about the Ford Explorer and Firestone tires here in the U.S. about 20 years back....once tire pressure was fixed, it's old news, nothing more heard about it. I drive a '97 Mercury Mountaineer (same vehicle as the Ford Explorer) with 375K miles on it, it should be blowing tires left and right according to what the press had said about the vehicle. I check my air every 6 months to a year on average (I'm bad...)
I bought a set of tires from DRMO, they were NOS standard 275 x 15's but about 15 years old....they looked perfect, but lasted only one year, the tread material just wore down at an accelerated rate. Not worth buying old tires, that's for sure.

NDTs are different beasts than standard vehicle tires in many ways, treat them right and you will replace them when the tread wears out in 30+ years.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:53 am

I like Fabrizios post!
But he left out the most dangerous of all.....

Kids learning to drive in them !
Senior citizens not ready to stop driving them !
Guys pressuring their wives to drive them !

.....and probably me driving them !! lol

..... 😄😜
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”