Gasket question oil pan holes in the block

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Wild Bill Kelso
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Gasket question oil pan holes in the block

Post by Wild Bill Kelso » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am

Hi there, in these days I was cleaning the oil pan because of some oil sludge. Now I have a question, if you have a look to the attached picture there are two holes filled with a kind of silicone. What should I do with them, can I scrape out these holes and fill them out with new gasket or would it be a bad mistake and these are important sealings? How deep are they? Is this an important sealing which goes around the crankshaft?
Thank you for any help.

Wild Bill Kelso
Attachments
Gasket2.jpg
Gasket2.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 527 times

packer
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Gasket question oil pan holes in the block

Post by packer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 am

Hi the holes are the rubber dowel ,s they should be proud , so when you fit the sump they are compress into the joint , I would not move , if you do you will have to refit the rear bearing , and seals , all the best colin

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:45 am

Those are for the WO-637790 Packings. They are two rubber dowels that seal up tight when the Oil Pan is bolted in place. That silicone does not do the job. Best buy the service manual for the Jeep Engine They stick out about 3/8" and are sealed tight when compressed by the oil pan.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Wild Bill Kelso
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Wild Bill Kelso » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 am

So I can fix this from the outside or (pick it) and push in a new one or do I have to disassebmle the whole engine? :?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 am

Yes they are important and are about two inches deep. Someone did not use the rubber plugs but filled those holes with silicone. Now, did it leak before you took off the oil pan? If not, you might consider leaving well enough alone. I, personally, could not live with it and would dig them out which might be hard if they are glued into the block, or remove the cap and replace them with the correct dowells, sealed with silicone.
If you remove the cap, as Colin said, you might have to fit new seals, and I sense you do not want to do that. So, if it ain't broke....
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Wild Bill Kelso
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Wild Bill Kelso » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Let me say: thank you!
I'm awaiting some spare parts now and will report about how this is going on 8)
I' have planned to pick out the silicon and replace it with the correct dowells because I'm not sure that the Silicon stuff was leakproof.

Wild Bill Kelso

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 am

Since you have made the choice to remove the plug or silicone, the hole is 3/8.
Once you get the end picked clean, to get a good, square start with a 3/8 drill bit, augering the rest of the plug out will be a walk in the park and give you a nice clean hole to install the correct rubber dowel seal.
The hole may be a little deeper than 2 inches. It goes all the way to the bottom of the main bearing cap.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:28 am

Ok, for the inquiring minds, I measured one; holes are 2.614 inches deep, and my rubber plugs stick out .314 inches when pushed in to the bottom.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Wild Bill Kelso
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Wild Bill Kelso » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:26 am

Many thanks!
Also for the idea to use a drill bit :D
Very easy but I did'nt have this idea, alwas thought on "something" to scratch out. Drill bit works fine!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”