Is this an early Willys engine?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
M OMalley
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Is this an early Willys engine?

Post by M OMalley » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:48 pm

I have a worn out farm Jeep that I recently pulled out of the woods... It appears that Bubba did an engine swap... The engine looks similar to an MB, and has the 539s carburetor.... The block, head, and water pump are different though...The boss for the engine serial number is the same as the MB.. The stamped number is 37-9543 .. I spent an hour trying to load pictures... No luck here.... No problem loading them on EBay or Craigslist... I can email them to individuals .. Comments please ? What does it belong in ? Anyone need it ? Mark O P.S. the pictures can be seen on Western Massachusetts Craigslist auto parts , search for Early Willys engine

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Is this an early Willys engine?

Post by David » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:50 pm

I think it could be a pre-WW2 Americar engine?

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 pm

The engine is from a Willys Model 37 sedan. Obviously, it can be used as a substitite for a war time g503 engine.

Thats one rough tub! The cowl section is probable salvageable. I hope the frame is in better shape? Is the rest of the running gear correct for an MB? I hope this jeep will live again.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

M OMalley
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by M OMalley » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:58 pm

It's a very sorry jeep.... The frame has some issues, rear shock towers cut off, rear cross member gone, pintle mount and angled bracing for pintle mount replaced with heavy iron , rusty from transmission back ...Front horns in great shape with original serial number plate, bumper gussets damaged, 1930's ? front bumper welded to gussetts,... As for the body , it has a pretty good hood with a good hinge and the attached lube chart holder, a shovel bracket, a good glove box door, a good original steering wheel. and a few other minor parts.. The running gear is mostly complete and looks usable, except for transmission which won't shift ( could have water in it )..It has the late war drum style parking brake. . Front axle and steering components look good, even has a torque reaction spring...Steering gear is very hard to turn... ...Engine has good MB intake and exhaust manifolds with a good functioning heat riser valve , and an 8 patent 539s carburetor... Also 2 combat wheels....I'm thinking this is a donor jeep...It's in western Massachusetts. I will be offering it for sale on the "G" with or without the engine ,after I get enough info on the engine.. Thanks, Mark O

Ron Geddes
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Ron Geddes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi ---- Yes the engine is a 37 model car .
Main difference is that it only has a half water jacket .
You can see the lower section of each of the cylinders
Not much that you can use on an MB engine.
From 39 model on parts can be used but not all.
Ron

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”