Drivers seat tank guard

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Drivers seat tank guard

Post by m3bobby » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi All, I'm looking for a definitive answer to a question that I've had little luck in answering myself. Should a VEP GPW have a tank guard (The one welded to the back of the drivers seat) with the wood block or a long guard without the wood block?

Joes Motor Pool (JMP) in the UK have just released a long and short version of the guard, they say the short guard for use with the wood block is early and the long version without block is the later. I thought I'd read that the GPW didn't use the wood but the Willys MB did. I could do with some direction on this as my GPW seat requires a new guard and I'd like to get it correct first time. Thanks in advance.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

S McIlwaine
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Drivers seat tank guard

Post by S McIlwaine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 pm

My second of Aug 44 dod mb had the taller one without the wood it measures 3.5" the shorter one I read on here some were measures 3.25" is there nothing of your original left to check? Maybe some of the GPW experts will jump in?
Just another UK jeep lover

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”