Drive shaft yoke markings

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Drive shaft yoke markings

Post by Daren » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:58 am

Hi all,
Just a quick question, I have stripped and painted my front and rear drive shaft for my jeep but unfortunately I have mixed up the yokes and now can not remember which yoke went with which shaft. I have a yoke marked A3 and one marked A5 can anyone tell me which one goes with the longer shaft and which goes with the shorter?
Thanks in advance
Daren
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

artificer
banned

Re: Drive shaft yoke markings

Post by artificer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm

No.
But if they look the same dimensionally they will be the same.
The yokes should be tried on each shaft & establish best fits.
Some are marked with arrows or dots that are meant to be lined up, but if not there:

Don't forget the shaft & yoke must be in phase otherwise you will have a vibration built in. Search phasing a tailshaft.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: Drive shaft yoke markings

Post by Daren » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am

The two yokes are not entirely identical. One (A5) appears to be slightly "chunkier" than the other (A3)
Any ideas?
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”