Timing chain rivit leak

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
pmhslight
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Timing chain rivit leak

Post by pmhslight » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi

I was able to start the engine tonight for the first time in 2 months and there were several problems. First issue I noticed was a very slow leak from the timing chain cover in the dead center. The cover is new takeoff I bought from (due to possible litigation this name has been blocked).
I have never seen this before and not sure what to do? Has anyone had a leak like this? I really don't want to have to take the cover off again as it was a significant amount of work the first time and I'd have to drain my newly filled radiator, remove the grill, radiator, hoses, pulley, etc etc. What exactly is this that it's leaking from? Could I use jb weld or is there something else that can be done?

Thanks
Jason
Attachments
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG (68.27 KiB) Viewed 322 times

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Timing chain rivit leak

Post by dinof » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:26 pm

I would normally say redo it all but for a leak like this.....I would dry that oil away and scrub, scrub, scrub until ALL the oil was gone EVEN under that rivet as best that you can do and then push in something like JB weld or whatever, let harden and then paint over. You probably don't have to paint unless your as picky as me but if you can put it spareingly between the cover and rivet, it should be good. You may have to wait a few days so all of the oil is done oozing out.

Let's face it, what do you have to lose? All to gain as the leak is isn't a pressurized one. If it doesn't work, then you have to pull it apart again.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 am

That post inside is in contact with vibration and moving parts from the camshaft and timing chain, you may get lucky and seal it, best to braze the post in place, or just get another cover.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 am

This could be serious.
When the engine is running, can you see any movement of the rivet head.
This rivet head is what holds the retaining pin in the timing cover. It is what the spring and plunder in the front end of the camshaft pushes against to hold the camshaft firmly in the block.
It should be solid.
If it is loose, which I would think it would be to leak, the pin inside the cover is moving and not centered on the camshaft plunger.
It will only get worse.
Any kind of patch job is exactly that.
If the pin comes off, it can fall into the timing chain and gears. This is real bad !!
Brazing would be my choice, but all that will do is secure the rivet head. You still won't know what is going on inside.
I would take the cover off for a better look.
But it is your call. :roll:
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am

And to those who are servicing the Timing Chain Covers, that post should not be grooved or rough. Replace the cover if the post shows wear.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”