Did I Burn Up a New Voltage Regulator?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Did I Burn Up a New Voltage Regulator?

Post by Wolfman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:14 am

Starting to sound like you have a regulator problem. The generator output is just fine.
Possibly a bad shunt winding in the cutout relay. Once you manually close the cutout relay, the system charges . The holding winding in the cutout relay comes into play and keeps the cutout relay contacts closed until shut down. Then the system won't reenergize on it's own.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

AugieAscot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by AugieAscot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks Wolfman. Leaving work early today to take the jeep to a local shop. I'll post the results when I know them.
Augie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:18 am

Just reread your description of the last thing you did. Closed the cutout relay manually and it charged.
You said the cutout remained closed and the current relay was open. The voltage relay was closed. ???
Normally the current and voltage relay are closed or moving open and closed slightly. Not wide open.
Still think you have a voltage regulator problem.
And a jumper from the "Batt." on the regulator to the field post on the generator with the field wire disconnected will put the generator to full charge. Or should.
With the suspected bad cutout shunt, this jumper won't work either.
Keep us informed.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

AugieAscot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by AugieAscot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:40 pm

OK, took off from work and drove the jeep to the starter & generator rebuilders for him to troubleshoot. All he could tell me was the generator was working but the VR was not. He was not interested in trying to troubleshoot the VR. We made small talk for a few minutes and then he said if I took the VR off and brought it in, he'd take a look at it. I think this shop is great for starters and generators but I'm going to pass on them looking at the VR.
So I'm looking for a type B VR, the small auto type. Can I go to NAPA and get a 6 volt type B VR?
Thanks guys
Augie

cjv-35
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by cjv-35 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Napa VR-401 should do it for you. It is for a Ford type "B" system. Also, Standard VR-10. You can cross reference both those and come up with others.

AugieAscot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by AugieAscot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Thank you CJV!
Augie

AugieAscot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by AugieAscot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:08 pm

:D
cjv-35 THANK YOU. I just installed the Napa VR-401, polarized the Gen (for the 64th time this week) and started the engine, Amp gauge went right to +10 Amps. The battery is low, right at 6 volts. I turned the head lights on and the Amp gauge made a tiny wiggle and stayed steady at +10 Amps. I shut it off and came in happy. Road test tomorrow. So, sometime in the future I'll get my French CVR fixed. But right now I am very happy, Dad will make another start in the Santa Clarita 4th of July Parade. It's his Christmas/Indy 500.
So if you can not afford a stock voltage regulator you can use a Napa VR-401. It's for a B type system. Edit --> Price of the VR-401 was $53.
Ok drinks are on me, see ya at the canteen.
Augie

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:15 am

Outstanding !!
You and Dad enjoy the parade.
If I ever get to Palmdale, I will be sure and look you up.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

cjv-35
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by cjv-35 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 am

Glad I was able to help. As you said, in the future, try and get that French VRY working. Have a good day and a great up coming 4th of July parade. :D

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 am

Good result & some of us forget old 6V Fords are still around as they are in numbers in the US.
What voltage reading do you get across the top of the battery @ idle & @ RPM?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

AugieAscot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by AugieAscot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 pm

At idle it's 6v, if I rev it a bit and hold it, it goes to 7v. The battery may still have been a little low. This is with my 30 yr old, economy no name, tiny analog meter. I duck taped the meter to my windshield so I could see it with the hood up. Should have taken a pic to post. My digital meter won't work with the engine running, by the little analog will. When I start the jeep the Amp gauge goes to almost +30 and then slowly (2 or 3 sec) goes down to 0 or maybe +1. I have not been able to make the Amp gauge read negative.
Thanks again to everybody that offered help here and with private messages. It takes time to sit and read and then reply with ideas and I appreciate it.
Augie

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Perfect result.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”