GPW engine identification (real or not)

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: GPW engine identification (real or not)

Post by rjbeamer » Tue May 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Michael. It looks like it is a Ford block as it has the machined step on the oval pad.

Roger

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Recap..

The OPs block needs to have the casting info on the side of the block in a pic.
The second block in this thread is "stepped" which is not a Wilson block feature (Willys) but a Ford-made feature.

The second block with the stepped pad has a "GPW 59042" that doe not have a single letter or digit that even remotely resembles those fonts used at the Ford Engine Assembly line to number their motors.

So...it is not a FACTORY numbered Ford block...from there you either have a scrubbed and re-numbered block by an unknown person or...if the block has a set of "Crossed Cannons" and a number stamped on the milled side of the block where the manifolds are attached up near the front and just below the head then it may be a "replacement motor" that again either had some OP or maybe even a motorpool while in service install it into a GPW with the serial number "GPW-59042" as was suggested at the time.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Tue May 16, 2017 12:49 pm

rjbeamer wrote:Michael. It looks like it is a Ford block as it has the machined step on the oval pad.

Roger
I was referring to the OP's block. Yes, the second block posted is obviously a Ford block.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Schelvis
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Schelvis » Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am

Okay, let me see if I can find those "crossed cannons". Are they supposed to be visible with the manifolds installed?

FYI: chassis and dataplates are correctly 56042 stamped.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Yes, the crossed cannons is actually the Ordnance symbol which is a round belt, superimposed with two crossed cannons, and an Flaming Bomb at the top. It is not covered by the manifolds, but sometimes is not clear and hard to see under rust and grease and dirt. It will also have a number with an X stamped next to it. Those are the characteristics of a Ford replacement block. They were not installed in the "motor pool"; organizational maintenance (meaning the using unit; company, troop, and Battalion or Squadron) is not authorized, trained, nor equipped to replace an engine, nor are they authorized to order the replacement part anyway. Third Echelon maintenance and above, did engine replacement; now it is called the Direct Support Maintenance Battalion. Of course, the General Support and Depot Maintenance, or a commercial factory, can replace and or, repair engines.
And Bubba can do any level of maintenance he wants. Problem is, Bubba writes his own scopes of work and quality standards.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Dino!
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Dino! » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Michael O. wrote:Is it a Ford block or Willys block?
It is a Wilson cast block used for a Ford GPW. Ford use Wison blocks (same as Willys) to be able to meet production numbers of the jeeps they were contracted for. I don't know if Jim Gilmore has published anything yet but he has the daily numbers of Wilson blocks used in Ford plants.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 am

GPW 13537 stamp.jpg
GPW 13537 stamp.jpg (187.48 KiB) Viewed 475 times
GPW 1934X ORD Bomb A.jpg
GPW 1934X ORD Bomb A.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Like these two.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Schelvis

Post by Schelvis » Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 am

I doubt it that I will find those marks. Engine has been cleaned and repainted but nothing extraordinary appeared.

I'll have another look asap.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:14 am

You have to look very closely; my GPW engine marks are very faint. The ones in Chuck's picture are very clear and deep; mine aren't and the Ordnance proof mark is there but so faint it does not show up in this picture.
Attachments
GPW ENGINE - 1.jpg
GPW ENGINE - 1.jpg (13.8 KiB) Viewed 446 times
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”