Advise on Body Shop

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
parcours
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Advise on Body Shop

Post by parcours » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:26 am

I'm located in Southern California and need to find a body shop that can work on my '42 MB tub. Most of the local shops won't touch it, they say it's to "complex".

Do you guys know of a body shop that is capable of doing the body work on an MB tub? I have the majority of parts, hat channels and misc parts, just need a good body man...

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Advise on Body Shop

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:27 am

This kind of work is typically done by the owner/restorer. Jeeps are all flat panels so it is easy to do. Body shops will cost you a fortune to do stuff you can do yourself; for a fraction of the money you will spend, just buy a mig welder and an angle grinder; learn on the job. Anyone can do it. And a compressor; spray your own primer and paint; it is very easy. It is part of the process.
Jeeps do not require body men; they are focused on curved car panels; they can't envision a vehicle as simple as a jeep.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 am

Find a sheet metal worker like someone who makes trailers etc. to get the body in good shape.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:23 am

Parcours,
I sent you an email.
Donovan.
GPA 11374

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am

There are very good body guys who have experience working on HMV's. I have two tubs being restored presently. I'm sure some of the MVCC guys know someone in your area. To me, it's worth the extra cost.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”