shift cane repair

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

shift cane repair

Post by jkillelea » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40 pm

This may be a question already asked, but I searched the board and didn't find a definitive answer. Can the bottom of a worn shift cane be fixed by welding steel on and grinding it back to specs? Will this weaken the steel of the cane and make it snap when shifting? I'm not sure about how welded steel works. Does it make it stronger or more brittle and prone to breaking? It would be nice to repair an original F cane if possible. Thanks all.

artificer
banned

Re: shift cane repair

Post by artificer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Bronze is a good alternative & will get perfect results.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 am

Time to also check the wear on the pivot pin. If worn, replace.it. Check the T84 tower where the rpin rides for.wear and build up with bronzed if needed... also replace the gate riveted to it if worn.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:44 pm

If your cane end is worn then so is your shift plate; time to change it too.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Jerry Hudgens
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Jerry Hudgens » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:53 am

What is the risk of building an end (the half moon part) and welding it to the shift cane (it is broken off) and grinding and finishing the end? The homemade end would be inserted in a slot that is machined out of the end of the shift cane and then ground down and finished.

An alternate repair would be to counter bore two screw holes and install the homemade end with two socket head screws so that in the future you could replace the end if it wears down.

Since it appears to me that the end of the shift cane is not heavily loaded in terms of the force on it during shifting that such a repair would be OK but I am not certain.

Also, was the original shift cane end hardened at the factory?

Jerry Hudgens

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:24 am

I would go ahead and weld away; nothing to lose. I just checked a good WW2 Willys one; it is RC50, which is moderately hard. But, you aren't going to use it that much, so I wouldn't worry about it. Even a soft steel, or brazed, one will last for 25 years of hobby driving.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 am

As for the pin spoken of earlier most of these knock through & can be replaced by a cut to length grade 8 bolt.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”