Rebuilding my T-18 Transfer Case - Seal Help

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
will1984
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Rebuilding my T-18 Transfer Case - Seal Help

Post by will1984 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 am

Hello Folks

I'm currently rebuilding my T-18 transfer case, it is a post-war unit, with has the Spicer (Diamond) Brown Lipe tag in place. With being in the U.K., I am building my MB up from a mix of CJ, MB and GPW parts, what ever I can source really. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the seals that go on the rear cap section of the T-18. I purchased a seal and gasket set, produced by crown in the U.S.

In the kit, there are two felt sections, roughly the diameter of the two seals that are also included, and also two shift fork oil seals, which have a green coating on the outside diameter.

roughly guessing, for the rear cap section, is it gasket first, felt, and then seal, or gasket, seal, and then felt?. I was also contemplating using some hylomar blue to seal the outside diameter up when fitting, any advice?

For the shift fork seals, can they be placed in situ as is?, or would anyone recommend sealing them up when fitting?.

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me anything about my unit from the casting numbers?, there appears to be a hand-ettched initial on the front cap section next to the casting number. I have also included the tag, which has the serial J 222347 stamped in place. I painted this black temporarily to see how it would come out, the original paint had long gone.

Pics attached below.

Many thanks.

Will
End Cap.jpg
End Cap
End Cap.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 161 times
oil seals.jpg
Oil Seals
oil seals.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Front Cap - Casting-1.jpg
Front Cap - Casting - 1
Front Cap - Casting-1.jpg (112.33 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Front Cap - Casting-2.jpg
Front Cap - Casting - 2
Front Cap - Casting-2.jpg (98.13 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Trasnfer Case - Casting-1.jpg
Transfer Case - Casting - 1
Trasnfer Case - Casting-1.jpg (123.95 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Transfer Case - Casting 2.jpg
Transfer Case - Casting - 2
Transfer Case - Casting 2.jpg (125.12 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Transfer Case - Tag.jpg
Transfer Case - Tag
Transfer Case - Tag.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 161 times

artificer
banned

Re: Rebuilding my T-18 Transfer Case - Seal Help

Post by artificer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:59 am

Will wrote: In the kit, there are two felt sections these fit inside the dished section on the flange/s. I leave the rear felt out, remove the dish from the flange, if there is one & fit a second seal, also two shift fork oil seals, which have a green coating on the outside diameter these can be fitted with rods in place [or not] using a suitable deep socket BUT put electricians tape over the shaft notch/s & remove tape once the seal/s is/are over the notch/s. Not doing so will ruin the seal/s. gasket, seal, and then felt. I was also contemplating using some hylomar blue to seal the outside diameter up when fitting, any advice? Make sure the bore the seal goes into is prefect with no gouges burrs etc. & use permatex aviation sealer
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”