HELP! should it be a slat or stamped?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
41 willys
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
HELP! should it be a slat or stamped?

Post by 41 willys » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 am

hello I just purchased a 1941 willys mb script jeep, no glove box or tailgate.it has a stamped grill? I was told it should prob. have a slat grill ? I am new to this and trying to learn about what I have. Its serial no. is 102711,matching chassis also.DOD is 12-20-1941.It has a GPW motor no.79193 I think that puts that around 1942. the motor has a rebuild tag from Whitemore service comand depot.Ayer Ma. Dated 1944. it appears to be almost all orig. It has a data tag next to the three tags that refers to a heater intstructions but no heater. there is evidence of a hole in the hood in the area of the air cleaner . Looking for any info on that? also fitted with a filtrate I think? also fitted with a Slave Battery outlet receptacle ? What is this and how was it used? and lastly ,Yea Right. a question about the wind shield. Mine has gun mount on the frame ? I was told it is prob later. what is the correct height of the wind shield for that year? Thank you all for any help you can provide. I am looking forward to putting this back to it glory and back on the road. Richard

fiveftsix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: HELP! should it be a slat or stamped?

Post by fiveftsix » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:20 am

Congratulations Richard on your find !!!
102711 should have the iron slat grill and the low windshield too.
I believe that serial number should also have a bracket for the rear brake hose mounted on the chassis with the brake pipe "T" mounted on the drivers side rear axle tube and not on the pumpkin as later models.
The filtrette that`s under the dash should have a hinged lid.
The slave Batt outlet was a later addition it was used to aid starting other vehicles as well as other uses requiring power.
Why not post pictures of your find if your able too as I`m sure plenty would love to see your new found treasure !!!
There is also another forum on here dedicated to the early slat grill jeeps where I`m sure you`ll find out a lot more.
You may also find a build date on the axles too if there the original ones which is stamped on the doughnut ring one side of the diff.
Geoff Bull

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:43 am

The slave start connection was part of a cold weather kit, at least originally. Any evidence of a heater (Extra holes in the firewall above the pedals) or snaps for the hood blankets? Lloyd White's new book has articles in it about the various cold weather kits.

Sweet jeep, Gindi!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

41 willys
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by 41 willys » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:48 am

thanks for the help. I will try and post some pix as soon as i can. my windshield looks the same as the one in the photo .

41 willys
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by 41 willys » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:52 am

there is two holes in the fire wall about one inch in diameter. approximately above the pedals. thanks

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”