Why Did My Jeep stay in third gear?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Why Did My Jeep stay in third gear?

Post by dinof » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 am

Yes John, I am shifting very gently, but I always was cautious on shifting. That's what bothers me so much. And while I slept at night (barely!), when I have a vehicle that does something like this, it does bother me to no end. I can't stop that. It's been in my DNA since birth. I restored the jeep 15 years ago and I like a car to operate as just so. I love taking this jeep to car shows and sometimes, I win a class of judging which I just get a kick out of when you have classics,muscle cars, street rods, foreigns, and everything else in between. I don't do this to be arrogant or make myself feel great, I just love representing our military vehicles.

My first experience of shifting was the jeep my brother left for me back in 1976. I was 16, and the car was a 1942 MB. My fathers. My brother took that Jeep and put a V8 with a hydraulic clutch in front of T-90. Warn Overdrive, 5:38 gears. I didn't look military anymore as back then, you didn't restore a WWII jeep back to original. Roll cage, saginaw steering, Mercury 11' brakes and a '72 Ford blue color paint. The T-90 would last around 20,000 miles and that was a miracle.

After the rebuild of the trans, I didn't want to push that T-90 anymore. So, now I'm extra cautious. By the way, Have you ever drove a Model A ford? Now there's
a little bit different take on shifting skills. Makes you appreciate the chap who invented the synchro assembly doesn't it?

Take Care and wish me good luck today-
Dino F.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 am

Curious how one could change the synchro springs without tearing into the T84....since the main shaft holds 2nd gear with the 2nd blocking ring captured between it and the hub...and the hub is held onto the main shaft by a snap ring it would seem that the space between the 2nd blocking ring and the hub where the 2nd gear synchro spring is located would make it difficult to SEE the spring, let alone replace it.

I would like to know how to do this however....I can't see how to remove the entire synchro unit with the T84 still installed, with the main gear still in the clutch and the T84/T18 assembly still in the jeep. How exactly can one remove the synchro from the main shaft with the snap ring still on it and the tip of the main shaft still sitting in the 13 roller bearings in the main gear?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 am

My T-84 lost the ability to shift into 3rd gear last fall.
One of the shift plates/dogs had come partially out of the sychro and was badly bent by the sleeve moving toward the 3rd position.
I completely went through the trans at this point.
I bought some replacement synchro parts and small pats kits.
Varying quality was observed for the shift plate/dogs, I ended up using an NOS syncro assembly (had it for years before I had a G503! :o ).
The plates on my T-84s rebuild in the past were "wimpy" reproductions.
I have seen the same quality issues with my T-90 builds.
Just a little FYI.

Ed S :)
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 am

Gindi wrote:That's the only hunch you need to put your brains going and figure it out...
I like that....
A helpful hint is....how can you remove/replace the 3 synchro shift plates?
Someone we all know well posted pictures of how some tasks like this could be achieved, a few years back. Maybe you saved them?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am

Well I drove the jeep about 50 miles that is very stop and go. Trans was perfect. Every time I came to a stop, the shift lever slid right into neutral beautifully. Now we shall see over time if she is really good. Not once did it even seem hard, stick or whatever.

But all is not lost.....look what info on this situation came out. It's clear that there are some very skilled mechanics here and I thank you all for trying to help me. Now on top of that, we all learned many things. For starters, I know one thing......When you all buy a new synchro assembly, you need to question the supplier on what he has. A bad reproduction unit can be horrid in this case as one would have to remove the trans/transfer case. Stupid me, I forgot the definition of reproduction. I'm worried what the future will bring on what will be available. NOS can't last forever.

Thanks guys for your sharing of all this great info and knowledge. I have learned something new that I will use.

Dino F.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”