canvas roof to windscreen attachment Help

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Its me
Sergeant Major of the Gee
canvas roof to windscreen attachment Help

Post by Its me » Mon May 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi All,

I need a bit of help, took the jeep out over the weekend and she was performing great but then the dreaded British heavens opened so had to throw the canvas roof on. But whilst driving along and the wind kept getting under her and blowing the canvas about as they do, or guessing they all do that, but what it kept doing was pulling the canvas of a couple of studs on the screen which was all rather annoying. So what i need to know is has anyone else had this problem and solved it. Obviously i tightened the straps up and it improved a little but not a great deal.

Also hows best to store the roof when i havnt got it up, should i take it of and fold her up. Ifso is there a propper way for this or just leave her attached to the bows?

Many thanks
Kyle

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Re: canvas roof to windscreen attachment Help

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Ren shows you how to fold the top!

http://www.rensjeep.com/folding/canvas.html

As far as the top, I'm assuming you have the capstan studs to hold on the top.

If so, I had the same issue as I trailer my MZ-1 everywhere which means the top is subject to high speeds. I solved the issue wiring the top in three places using tie wire.

I'm not so sure this is proper, but it works for me.

They make rebar tie wire in a lot of gauges and in standard black, galvanized and coated. http://www.americanwiretie.com/rebar-tie-wire.html
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Its me

Post by Its me » Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Mark,

Thats great ill give it ago when i got her out again, many thanks.

Kyle

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon May 12, 2014 1:37 pm

1) NEVER drive at freeway speeds with the jeep on a trailer and the top UP....ask Mac about how expensive it was to replace the top and top bow assembilies when the wind did it's thing to THAT vehicle.

2) If you are driving at 40 mph and are going into a headwind of 15-20 mph that is an effective wind speed of 55-60 mph (SEE #! ABOVE)

3) NEVER trailer your jeep with the Windshield UP either (SEE #2 ABOVE)..... it is the same as letting people yank on the frame to get out of the jeep when they weigh 250 lbs, something will bend over time and it isn't your hefty passenger!

4) CHECK to see if your frame is a repop or original....I suspect that some repops have had the capstan stud holes drilled a little closer to the top which makes it easier for the top to come off.

5) If you are taller than 5' 8" (average height of GI in WWII and average weight was maybe 144 lbs)' the top will flap in the wind and slap you silly anyway. Put it DOWN for those high speed/long runs!

6) Measure the distance from the windshield frame to the rear panel in several places because while the canvas mfger might have cut the canvas SQUARELY, if the frame is bent back on one arm more than the other then the canvas will be looser on that side also (SEE #3 ABOVE).

7) Is the front bar of the top bows inside the pockets where it is supposed to be? If not then the wind will give even MORE flap to the canvas.

8) Sometimes I think that is just a way of your jeep to tell you to S-L-O-W-D-O-W-N.....
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Mon May 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Chuck beat me to it. I would never tow my MB at normal highway speeds with the jeep's windshield up, much less the canvas top on. Windshield down and top stowed is the way to go.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon May 12, 2014 3:41 pm

I prefer to use GPW style bush button studs as they will grip the grommets. Canvas is too expensive to chance coming undone at the studs.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Mon May 12, 2014 4:36 pm

When I got my used summer top, I was concerned about how how it would stay on the caps and gromets. No snaps or twist clips to hold it secure. The top was folded correctly for storage with the front edge/lip folded down inside the top. So that when it unfolded, the canvas was stiff and creased at an almost 45 degree angle. I had to almost bend the canvas front edge up to get it over the caps. Once they were on, it stayed in place extremely well until I could get to the back of the jeep and tighten the straps. I haven't had it a long time or done a lot of high speed driving, but my top has always stayed on.
The top stows better for me rolled instead of folded, but I always make sure that front "lip" of the top is folded or rolled over before folding or rolling the top for storage.

But, I am 5"16' tall and don't put the top up much for that reason.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 pm

It all depends o n the configuration of the grommet installed. The WWII tops stayed put.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Mon May 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Hey Kyle
Check that the rubber strip between screen and cowl is correct thickness, and that your screen is,nt bent back towards the driver(sometimes people drive without securing the hood/bonnet) when that strikes the screen at about 30mph it has a bending effect :shock: on the screen. Either will leave your top loose between the screen and front bow.
regards Nick

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon May 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Kyle, it is your jeep... so it is up to you.

I see no difference driving down the road at 55-60 and towing the jeep that same speed.

I don't remember Mac screwing his top or windshield up but if it can't take the that speed something was wrong with his set up.

I do the Veterans day and Christmas parades a plus three or four events with the top up a year, around 1000 miles. That has been over 9 years now close to 10,000 with the top up on the jeep on the trailer.

You all sound like Lloyd when he was having fits that my jeep was getting wet at Tower Park.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue May 13, 2014 3:19 am

The 10 Grommets that attach the top to the windshield studs do make a difference. The originals have a special dimension to the depth of the hole and are referred by some in the canvas business as "barrel grommets". Some owners of canvas will canvas will experience their top coming undone after driving short distances, many times this is due to the original type grommets not being installed. If original type studs are installed on the windshield along with correct type grommets, the tops will not come undone while driving. This is the problem I have experienced with the A-3216 from Beachwood over the years.
As for choosing to leave the top installed while towing or trailering the Jeep, it's up to the pocketbook of the owner.

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 am

Hey Mark - perhaps you drive a little slower with your flatbed than I do. I'm normally in the 60 to 70 mph range. Combine those speeds with typical crosswinds and tractor-trailer rigs blowing by going the opposite direction... heck, the wind gusts sometimes shove my F-150 around and it's a 6000 lb vehicle.

It's not about my MB getting wet or dirty, but rather the stress on the thin windshield support tubing and the canvas wear.

Besides - what purpose do the windshield and top serve by remaining "up"?
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Tue May 13, 2014 4:58 am

To the "naysayers", I also leave my top up like Mark.
NO ILL EFFECTS NOTED....EVER
You should not be towing with a pickup at excessive speeds anyway.
If you really want to tow fast, 70mph+, yes I would put the top and windshield down.
Yes, the windshield up is more drag, I do put mine down for extended high way towing.
Some repro windshield frames are only single wall in the arms, they will bend.
You can DRIVE a G503 at 50-60 mph (overdrive :) ) and the top is fine.

Regards, Ed 8)
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 am

Has anyone noticed the flexing of the windshield arms while operating with the top installed at speeds over 40 MPH?

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Tue May 13, 2014 5:12 am

I have... particularly when a semi passes me going the other way. The wind gusts probably spike to 75 mph or more.

It's not just about how fast a guy's jeep is going. It's about his speed PLUS the other wind factors created by nature or other vehicles on the road.

Some guys smoke for years and never notice ill effects. Others... not so lucky.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”