dancing amp gauge

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
leonhey
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

dancing amp gauge

Post by leonhey » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi all,

it's been a while for me to be on the G, but I need some advise
I have installed a new amp gauge and the needle keeps bouncing around, all the connections are correct (check, double check, triple check)
when in idle it is slightly to the charging side. when I rev the engine as soon as the needle hits 25 it starts bouncing back and forth
I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem ones and what they done to fix it.

Cheers
Leon
'44 GPW serial#gpw230463, engine#gpw230463
'44 GPW serial#gpw178007.
Is there going to be more??? I hope so :)

Jamonz
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: dancing amp gauge

Post by Jamonz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi sounds to me as though the current regulator (part of the voltage regulator) is incorrecly set. For me, I avoid anything but the simplest of adjustments on the voltage regulator.

Suggest you get yourself a digital miltimeter. DIsconnect the battery and then remove the voltage regulator cover. Reconnect the battery cable.

Start the engine and allow to idle, your voltage across the battery should be just over 6 volts. Now slowly increase the rpm and watch the voltage, at no time should it exceed 7.2volts. If the voltage peaks and drops in time with the 25 amps on the ammeter then I would suspect the voltage regulator, if the voltage remains stable but the amps peak & drop, I would suspect the current regulator.

Sorry I cant help with the abjustment process as I dont have the books with me.

Generally speaking though, if the various contacts are clean and the air gaps are correct the amps/volts are usually pretty stable.

Cheers

Ian
Ian in New Zealand
1941 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC 57
1942 Dodge WC 53
Looking for M38-A1

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:22 pm

I have two regulators. My ammeter needle does the dance with one, but not the other.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Voltage regulator, which at this stage in their life, are usually bad. I have had mixed results in adjusting them. New guts is what they usually need; solid state is good, but expensive. I wish there was an alternative. I have thought about putting a new, little one, inside the case.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”