tow bars

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Gary25
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: tow bars

Post by Gary25 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Illustr8or,

Thanks for posting the info on the Willys patent for the Tandam Tow Hitch. I didn't know they went through the trouble of patenting this device. I have 3 patents myself and I know how broadly the lawyers try to write the narative description so as to provide the broadest protection posible in a patent claim.

The original intent of my posting was that the Army probably didn't intend Jeeps to be towed at highway speeds when they issued the "Tandem Tow Field Kit" for the G503 in 1944. As I noted, when I used the kit for long distance highway towing I experienced cracks in the bumper gussets which could be dangerous.

Below is the original instruction sheet and data plate that came with my Tandem Tow Bar. The bottom of the instruction sheet says: "This kit proivde the parts neccessary to equip the 1/4 ton vehicle with a tow bar for Tandem Operation".

I believe the Army intended the kit primarily for "Tandem Operation" (as stated in the instruction booklet and dash warning plate) with another functional vehicle to tow a wheeled load like a cannon. Of coarse that doesn't mean that in a pinch soldiers wouldn't hesitate to use the hitch to tow a stalled or broken vehicle.

Thanks again for posting the orginal Willys patent info.

Gary
Gary
Andover, NJ
45 GPW, 44 Bantam Trailer, 44 M6A1 Mortor Hand Cart, 1944 Converto Dump Trailer

illustr8r
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: tow bars

Post by illustr8r » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Gary,

Have just recently been using a vintage tandem to tow my GPW. Probably about 800 miles this season. Will be keeping watch for signs of stress on the gussets and frame horns (and rig lunette welds).

Wouldn't dare if the horns had already been damaged from abuse, Bubba fixes, or showed other signs of fatigue. That said would be just as, if not moreso, weary of driving it without making repairs.

Originally intended to employ the later M38 (bumper on) set up for a more rigid config, have the hardware, and may still eventually.

Previously, for 35+ years and 1000s of miles, on this jeep and others have used a JC Whitney and other fold-up rigs with no problem.

Most recently, the Whitney rig was affixed with just 2 double-nutted bolts w/ large washers through the face holes on the original GPW bumper... and no signs of stress there. Since GPW resto was completed in '06, I'd guess 3-4,000 miles flat towed. She goes everywhere.

In comparison, the Roos design is over-kill with respect to the distribution of loads and stresses, in my opinion.

Generations have been dragging Jeeps for decades in this fashion, so I'm not understanding the as-if-gospel aversion that's so often found in the threads here.

Granted, a trailer would be nice... but generally wouldn't go where we do. Not uncommon to have to unhook and split the drive between riders for the homestretch, up the mountain, or down the beach.

Any takers on that Linkbelt?

Keith
'44 GPW 192067, 4/1/44, U.S.N.
http://www.g503.com/serial-numbers/view ... rd_id=2897
'44 Bantam T3 #49202, 8/17/44, (#0704670 est.)
http://www.design-consultants.com/tempo ... W&T3.2.jpg

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”