What would you drive in a Convoy?

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
Pat Gray
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

What would you drive in a Convoy?

Post by Pat Gray » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Just checking to see what would be the a good MV to drive in a Convoy.
I am considering driving my M35A2C in the 2019 MVPA Convoy.
Thought about comfort....not getting any younger but I would like to put a nice comfortable bed in the back.
Any thoughts about camping out all the time. Asking from experience, what would you bring?
Pros and Cons?
Thanks.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: What would you drive in a Convoy?

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:43 pm

My choice would an M-37 for a long run as the ride like a baby carriage, reasonably quiet and with room in the cargo bed. If I wanted a Military Jeep it would be the M-38A1, as I have many 1 day 500 mile 10-12 hour trips with no fatigue in M-38A1's. Best to equip the MV with original seat cushions, as foam cushions kinda grow on you. Age is a factor, the MB would be a choice if I were in my 20's.
Am sure others would choose different vehicles and veterans would likely favor the type available when they served their country.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: What would you drive in a Convoy?

Post by 199th MP » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:50 am

i have actually given this some thought over the years. if i were in a position to choose, it would definitely be an M43 ambulance. based on the M37, which is very sturdy and reliable, and would have plenty of room in the back for all your gear, plus any tools or spare parts you wanted to bring along. most importantly, room for the things that increase your comfort level, and no need to set up camp every day. all of these things increase in importance as one ages. i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm not 20 anymore.

Return to “Events”