How to mount jerrycan on side step?

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
pvtcook
G-Captain
G-Captain

How to mount jerrycan on side step?

Post by pvtcook » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Do you normally use a jerry can holder to do this or just set the can on the step? If no holder what type of strap?
Thanks
45 Willys MB, MBT, Harley WLA

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: How to mount jerrycan on side step?

Post by USAFpj » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:44 pm

What I've seen, is that if you're using a full can, a holder is placed on the outside, but then a piece of metal 'backing" is on the inside of the jeep to keep the sheet metal from warping over time. :wink:

pvtcook
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by pvtcook » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:35 pm

I sat mine on the step today w/out the holder and it hit the windshield arm??

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

pvtcook,
Derek Eddlestone has one mounted on his jeep. He spoke of it having a "stand off plate"(if my memory is correct) to prevent the can from interfering with the windshield arm.
There was a stand off plate/spacer used on halftracks between the jerrycan holder and cowl that may also work.

If you study period photographs, there were a lot of field modifications that used whatever material was available.
The following photo is a step mounted can on a USMC jeep that(by photographic evidence) seems to have been a common addition for the Corps, but there were also a lot of US Army jeeps with similar brackets.

Roy

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

One way to mount jerrycan on side step.

Post by lucakiki » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:04 am

Derek Eddlestone wrote:My bracket came from one of the surplus dealers who brought a lot of vehicles back from Greece. I can't say I've cleaned it back to bare metal in search of a number but if someone was making them, they made a lot. My jeep had the holes already drilled in it to accept the bracket but at some point they had been welded up........ not very carefully, so they were easy to find and re-drill.

The bracket is made of 3/16" plate.
The widest part onto which the J/Can bracket bolts is 8" in width.
From the widest part it steps back at 90 degrees towards the jeep for 1+1/2" on both the left and the right side.
There is then another 90 degree bend in the opposite direction for a further 1+1/2". This second 'flat' has two holes drilled (total of 4) with 3+1/2" centres, equally spaced between the upper and lower edges of the bracket.
The bracket is 5+5/8" in depth.
The holes are sized to take 9/16" AF bolts.

Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

pvtcook
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by pvtcook » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 am

I appreciate it man. I think I can fabricate that. Thanks alot.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Here is another variation probably with a stand off of some kind...
Gas Can Carrier 5th Arm Div Aug 1944 Sees, France.jpg
Gas Can Carrier 5th Arm Div Aug 1944 Sees, France.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:06 am

Are these brackets available from anywhere? Has anyone on the G fabricated them for sale? I would pay for one if I could find it. I think Chance is looking for one too.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:59 am

Just a suggestion; before you mount a pass side gas/water can on your jeep, trace the outline onto a piece of cardboard and duct tape it to the jeep after you approximate where your gas/water can will end up by holding one of them in place. Then let several of your family and friends who you intend to let ride with you see if they can negotiate the shrinking door opening area when they attempt to get into and especially OUT of the jeep. Any of them taller than 6' may have a problem with the smaller exit area.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:59 am
Just a suggestion; before you mount a pass side gas/water can on your jeep, trace the outline onto a piece of cardboard and duct tape it to the jeep after you approximate where your gas/water can will end up by holding one of them in place. Then let several of your family and friends who you intend to let ride with you see if they can negotiate the shrinking door opening area when they attempt to get into and especially OUT of the jeep. Any of them taller than 6' may have a problem with the smaller exit area.
Good thinking Stretch! You should know!

The angled method makes more room for the leg. This or the vertical style requires a bracket, so no more work either way.

The kings of overloading jeeps were the British Special Air Service in the desert war. Up to 15 cans and two were mounted like this, based on every photo I have seen. Bracket sometimes an inch or two higher. Carol Mather (L) and Gordon Alston off to Tripoli
SAS Mather and Alston.jpg
SAS Mather and Alston.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 am

The SAS gentlemen above had the luxury of basically being the aggressors in North Africa...meaning they set the trap or attacked German units on the run in their vehicles and did not dismount and dig foxholes as other units might be expected to do when on the offensive. While I would see no problem in mounting gas cans on the tub steps/fenders for that kind of warfare, I would not suggest it be used in combat in the ETO where you went looking for the Germans/Italians and may have to bail out of the jeep when you found them.

In addition, the SAS had to carry huge amounts of WATER in addition to FUEL in the desert which would not have been the same situation in Europe. The SAS was conducting hit-and-run activities which counted on catching the enemy unawares in many instances. In the ETO the Germans could practically see the allies advancing so the lack of surprise meant much more returned firepower.

Carrying 15 gallons of gas in the tank would generally last long enough until the supply tail caught up with an advancing unit or the attack stalled or the vehicle was destroyed...so carrying many additional jerrycans more than the additional 5 gallons the jeeps carried just made them burn easier if they ran into a blockade or enemy ambush.

So...for the owner who really wants to carry an extra five gallons of gas over and above the 15 in the tank and 5 his original jerrycans held, mounting it is certainly discretional at best but one that should be thought out if one wants to carry older Vets or if one's own family is "older". The doorways on the jeep are hard enough to get in/out of for them (and for me) so additional blocking in the doorway makes no sense.

However....if you MUST mount one on the pass side, why not take a page out of the off-roader's handbook and design a mount that can SWING AWAY out of the way to allow passengers easy access in/out of the vehicle?
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

lightningdivision
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by lightningdivision » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:58 am

I just used two pieces of wood,big enough so there was no problem with the window when it is up.
Very quick,easy and low cost.

Stijn
78th INFANTRY DIVISION
310th INFANTRY REGIMENT

Owner of "the bug mobile" '44 jeep

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”