Cleaning Out Jerry cans

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.

Cleaning Out Jerry cans

Postby Landrover1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi guys..this is my first post so be gentle with me :D
I have just purchased a couple of used cans that I want to put onto an ex- military landrover1 that I am restoring...
I don't want to use the cans that are just for looks...
What is the best way to clean out the cans to get rid of any leftover fuel or fumes?
Landrover1
G-Private
G-Private

Re: Cleaning Out Jerry cans

Postby Landrover1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am

33views and no suggestions....I must be on the wrong site..goodbye
Landrover1
G-Private
G-Private

Postby mudbox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Landrover1 wrote:33views and no suggestions....I must be on the wrong site..goodbye

Ouch. The J-Can forum isn't the most viewed on the site. And, this question has been asked a number of times. So, the search function should get you there.
However, some have used Molasses, electrolysis, gravel inside then strap it to a tire and watch it go round and round, I would think that something like C.L.R. would work too...

Good luck
-Jason
mudbox
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Landrover1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm

mudbox wrote:
Landrover1 wrote:33views and no suggestions....I must be on the wrong site..goodbye

Ouch. The J-Can forum isn't the most viewed on the site. And, this question has been asked a number of times. So, the search function should get you there.
However, some have used Molasses, electrolysis, gravel inside then strap it to a tire and watch it go round and round, I would think that something like C.L.R. would work too...

Good luck
-Jason

Jason
Thank you for taking the time to post..I did not realise that there was a search button.
Landrover1
G-Private
G-Private

Postby David » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

If it's just leftover fuel, a few rinses with water will do. After let dry well with the cap open.

Or you want to clean rust?
David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Postby hell-fire » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 am

False teeth cleaner is good to try especially on Water cans.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished
hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Postby Landrover1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 pm

David wrote:If it's just leftover fuel, a few rinses with water will do. After let dry well with the cap open.

Or you want to clean rust?

David
I just want to get any leftover fule/ fumes out so I can mount the can on the back of a Landrover for aesthetic reasons
Landrover1
G-Private
G-Private

Postby David » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:17 pm

The fumes won't hurt anything. It probably indicates the can isn't leaking and can be used. :)

But a good rinse with some water and soap will wash most smell out I think. Just make sure the can is completely dried out before you close it again.
David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Postby w30bob » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Actually normal water and soap won't do much......fuel and water don't mix. You need something that absorbs or breaks down fuel. You can Google "fuel tank repair" to see how many folks make tanks safe to weld on (all traces of fuel and fumes must be gone......or BOOOM!) I use Purple Power full strength, then dilute, then water rinse, hot air dry....and then a rust inhibitor of your choice. Just make sure it's really dry or the rust inhibitor will trap the remaining moisture and rust will form in the seams. Simple Green would probably work as well, but I haven't personally tried it.

regards,
bob
w30bob
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Return to Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans