FT-419 & FT420 legs in a GPW

Radio Telephone and Telegraph Transmitting and Receiving Equipment
OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

FT-419 & FT420 legs in a GPW

Post by OldGPW » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:34 am

I have a set of the FT-419 and FT420 legs I was going to install, since I had located the original 1940s holes (not ones added by a restorer; never been restored until I started). The leg holes in the floor appear to be in line as they should be. The FT-420 leg is a perfect fit, but the FT-419 leg is (when bolted down on the wheel well top) about 1" inch farther inward toward the centerline of the tub. This would cause the leg to stick out about an inch past the front of the 250 radio mount (while the other leg is flush with the front of the mount when installed).

Of course the two legs are the same except for two distinguishing features: the 419 leg is a little longer on the downward part to reach the lower part of the rear floor, and the mounting holes are offset from those on the 420 leg. Here is the odd part: I moved the 420 leg (which is of course too short to reach the floor) to the place where the 419 leg should be, and the bolting pattern was a perfect fit (and the legs would be in proper alignment with each other).

It was a radio jeep in service, and I have not ruled out that it had more than one radio fitted during it's service life, but with the leg holes in the floor, it seems pretty clear it had a 250 mount in it with the FT-419 and FT-420 legs. Even with the FT-419 leg not being positioned in line with the other leg, the mount fits fine, so it is more of a cosmetic issue than a functionality issue.

Any thoughts on why the one leg is off when using the original holes? I really do not want to drill new holes in the tub. My only other question then is, does anyone know of a period radio that would have been installed on the wheel well that had two legs bolted to the floor like the FT-419 and FT-420 legs, other than those legs? I am not familiar with one, but I thought I would ask. I also see a hole in the floor near the foot of the FT-419 leg that I wondered if it might be related to a power cable. This is a 1942, so it did not have a factory junction box on the passenger side.
Old GPW.

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: FT-419 & FT420 legs in a GPW

Post by brian in denver » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm

yah I have seen that early cable path, somewhere, but couldent put my finger on it now.

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: FT-419 & FT420 legs in a GPW

Post by OldGPW » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 am

I have solved my own mystery regarding the legs. Now I'm still trying to figure out how the cable had been routed. I see it had run down through the floor on mine, but I cannot get to the underside of the tub right now to trace it. It appears to me that it was routed on the driverside (this is too early to have the later radio conduit box).

Does anyone happen to know where to locate the diagram for the earlier installations? I am sure that someone had it posted here on the gee before, but I can't locate it now.

Thanks
Old GPW.

Return to “Radio's and Communications”