FS: WWII Laptop Messenger Bags

Living History / Reenacting uniforms, field gear, and equiptment, Wanted, For Sale (NO EBAY ITEMS) or Trade.
RobL
G-Major
G-Major
FS: WWII Laptop Messenger Bags

Post by RobL » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:31 am

WWII Rigger Laptop Messenger Bags

I had started this string in the "Living History- Knowledge" forum, but now that I'm actually selling these bags, it's probably more appropriate that I continue this string over here on the 'Living History - For Sale' forum.

I recently finished a few different ways to better ‘secure’ the front flap of the bags for those who want that extra bit of security.

I’ve got four variations of this M1.

Type I – M1A1 - The ‘clean flap’ - has only an internal strap underneath the outer flap that will secure the laptop in place, but the front flap is left to drape over the bag – some folks like the clean lines of this style. And most of the bags I've made have this style of closure. Clean and simple. Bag has original WWII parachute snaps and rings and webbing for the shoulder strap. White silk parachute lining. Call it the "Operation Torch" bag.

Type II – M1A2 - Lift the Dot - has WWII lift the dots so you can secure the flap. We all love LTD fasteners. These fittings are from a sack of original WWII hardware. In case you have an overstuffed bag, this one gives you two places to secure the LTD. Bag has original WWII parachute snaps and rings and webbing for the shoulder strap.

Type III – M1A3 - Musette Style with buckle – has buckles that accept a short straps to hold the flap in place. Bag has original WWII parachute snaps and rings and webbing for the shoulder strap.

Type IV – M1A4 - long strap with buckle– like a mountain rucksack. This style has straps that run the full perimeter around the bag. But rather than regular webbing, in this case I had a little fun and used a WWII dated - and slightly grimy - .30 cal ammo belt. I felt the ammo belt made it a bit more fun. Perhaps the kinda laptop bag that Gunny Basilone would have carried around Guadalcanal. I also used a WWII dated .50 cal web belt as the adjustable shoulder strap instead of the white parachute webbing. More belt-fed fun!

Most of the ‘rigger bag’ styles are lined with WWII (or immediate postwar) camo chutes. Seems to be a favorite with folks. But I'm happy to make the 'early war' white silk lining too.

You'll notice the top, inside seams are held fast with copper rivets.

A large MacBook Pro fits inside the padded laptop compartment, and you can see the bags are big enough to hold a couple nice OD metal 'tool boxes'. I'm playing with variations on the 'hand grab' handle as well. Some are sewn on top, some tucked into the back. Most are para webbing, but one is 30 cal ammo belt to maintain the 'belt fed' theme. Just depends on your taste. They all work.

I haven’t stenciled these new bags to any particular unit. Some folks have asked me about some custom stenciling on these new bags. So I’ll let you know how that goes.

For fun, I loosely stitched an original German mine warning pennant on one bag. I call this bag “D Plus One”. Some lucky Pathfinder survived the night in the hedgerows and is collecting souvenirs as he makes his way to Carentan.

Let me know if you have interest in a particular bag. Or if you wanna see more detailed pix. If you have some stenciling in mind, I'll do what I can to satisfy. I’m selling each of these for $250.

Update: the bag with the Lift the Dot fasteners has sold. Thanks

101st_sig_co
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: FS: WWII Laptop Messenger Bags

Post by 101st_sig_co » Sun May 28, 2017 9:43 am

PM sent....

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Wanted, For Sale”