Help with Chinese Kanji please (c. 1911)

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Help with Chinese Kanji please (c. 1911)

Post by AZ Jeff » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:25 pm

I picked up a very nice, hand-engraved brass shell casing recently. It appears to be a 6 pdr/57MM (based on 2-1/4" neck diameter) but has no lot markings or anything else on the base. The unmarked, 5/8" diameter primer has three perimeter notches and center dimple. There are many guns matching that caliber from the early 20th century (Hotchkiss, Krupp, etc.) so the lack of headstamps doesn't help. It does have a tremendous, large oriental dragon around 3/4 of the body and the following Chinese(?) kanji:

Any help with translating would be appreciated. I know there was a democratic revolt/revolution in China in 1911 but I can't rule out a traditional "souvenir" acquired by a visiting Westerner.

Jeff Q.
AZ

eaw46
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Help with Chinese Kanji please (c. 1911)

Post by eaw46 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Celebrating the end of the Chin Dynasty and the beginning of the New Republic of China. This lasted until 1949 When The Communists took over. The symbols are really just 1911 in chinese characters but the date says all. Eddy

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Help with Chinese Kanji please (c. 1911)

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 am

Thank you. I had a similar translation from a gal in Canada last night.

I'll work now on identifying the application... Looks like Hotchkiss, Krupp etc. all had 57mm/6-pdr guns in China during that period.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”