Grenade question

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Grenade question

Post by ng19delta » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:20 am

I posted this to "Weapons", but decided to post it here in hopes of a faster reply: Just a short grenade question-
I just picked up a casing only for what looks to be a Mk. II pineapple- no fuse, powder, etc., and I am trying to identify it... It is NOT an "RFX" version(I have one of those) the "pads" are reasonably sharp, not heavily rounded, and it seems to have a "C" and a number which looks to be a 5 cast in on one side(two separate pads). The WWII fuse fits it fine, and it also has about a 1/2" dia. pot metal plug in the bottom- looks to be original... I am posting pics below-

Grenade body itself:
Plug in bottom:
With correct fuse/incorrect spoon:
Compared to "RFX" practice grenade:
Parting line:
"RFX" grenade body also has a "5" and a "6" cast into it, perpendicular to each other, on two adjacent panels.I think the "RFX" one may be an original, not sure... Had it for a good number of years.

Any ideas what I have? Weight is around the same(by feel) but haven't thrown them on a scale yet...

Scott

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Grenade question

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:58 am

As the others have commented in the Weapons forum, definitely a nice, fairly early Mk2. FYI -- Practice grenades also started out with threaded holes in the base (into which a cork was inserted). That was changed to an un-threaded hole later. If you need a matching, rusty WW2 spoon let me know. :wink:

Nice find.

Jeff Q.
AZ

ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Grenade question

Post by ng19delta » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 am

AZ Jeff wrote:As the others have commented in the Weapons forum, definitely a nice, fairly early Mk2. FYI -- Practice grenades also started out with threaded holes in the base (into which a cork was inserted). That was changed to an un-threaded hole later. If you need a matching, rusty WW2 spoon let me know. :wink:

Nice find.

Jeff Q.
AZ
If the spoon can be cleaned & restored for the grenade, I could use it- PM me details-

Do you know what the weight should be for a regular vs. a practice grenade body? Or were they about the same either way?
Thanks!
Scott

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”