Flight Suit: What's it worth?

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Flight Suit: What's it worth?

Post by Starvingboy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:18 am

I'm fumbling in the dark here. A buddy says he has a German WWII flight suit, and is looking to sell it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to price this thing? I don't want my buddy to get ripped off, and yet, this is NOT my area of expertise. My only real idea here is to toss it on Ebay and see what happens.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Flight Suit: What's it worth?

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:53 am

Leather or cloth?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Starvingboy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 am

I'll see it tonight, but I'm TOLD it's leather. Story goes it is a GI bring-back, for what that's worth.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14 am

See if there is a manufacturers tag.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Starvingboy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Well, black leather jumpsuit, ZIPP brand zipper, and guftav nitfeb wein on the label (I think, it's German :P) Says Grobe and Datum (Size/Date?)
Oh, lederbehleidungs y un{something} menfabrik. Some kind of stamp over part of the label. I'll need to get some photos up somehow.

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 pm

"Leather Clothing and Uniforms Factory" made by Gustav Nitfeb -- or Nitseb(?) in Vienna. Could be Kriegsmarine (navy) or Panzer (tank) in that color. I doubt it's air force based on that color. Condition of the leather, snaps, zippers is a big deal as well. If it's Panzer -- good. If it's Kriegsmarine not as much interest.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Starvingboy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Well, the other is a grey leather jacket, navy based on the buttons. How can I tell Tank vs Navy on the jumpsuit?

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:13 pm

If it's coming with the grey navy jacket (I'm familiar with those), I'm betting it's navy as well. Those are the more common "black leather coveralls" one sees. Army metal buttons tend to be pebbled and silver color. KM typically had the anchor and were gilt/gold colored. If the coveralls have plain buttons that won't help ID obviously. If they were "issue" coveralls there may be a KM acceptance or clothing depot mark/stamp. If they're private purchase there may be nothing beyond the maker markings/size.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Starvingboy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:53 pm

So, sounds like navy gear, neat! Back to the original question: What to do with it? It's not my thing, how to get in touch with those who are interested? (Or just list it on Ebay and see what comes)

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:48 pm

The grey jackets seem to be in the $250-$400 range based on the few I spotted on e-Bay. You'd need some completed auction prices to get a sense for what they actually sold for however. The coveralls probably about the same, better perhaps if they have something that proves military issue -- like an eagle over "M" Kriegsmarine acceptance mark for example. Neither is particularly rare or desirable in my experience and unissued examples are not uncommon (not much use in the largely shore-bound KM by 1944-45). The lack of blatant nazi symbolism (jacket breast eagle for example) and the fact that there are far fewer collectors of German navy items compared to air force, army or SS doesn't help.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”