gp medium question

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
sergeant diessel
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

gp medium question

Post by sergeant diessel » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:42 pm

So next week ill be picking up a gp medium . I am looking for some diagrams for where to place and distance of stakes i wanna make a rope with knots proper distance apart so i can lay it on the ground and people know where to drop the stakes and make it beautiful like a tent should be ive seen diagrams like that for the large but not medium and when i research it i find the manuals for the new kind of medium but not old kind

Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: gp medium question

Post by Lew Ladwig » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 am

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-8340-211-13.pdf

You will grow to hate that heavy sucker! Make sure anytime folks want the tent up they give you a full squad of at least 8 strong guys to pitch it. I have had up to 4 of those and would put them all up for a hanger dance. Lots of work.
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
BSA Crew 42 Advisor, 9th ID reenactors
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's
1-'45 gpw in full resto mode

ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by ng19delta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:30 pm

sergeant diessel wrote:So next week ill be picking up a gp medium . I am looking for some diagrams for where to place and distance of stakes i wanna make a rope with knots proper distance apart so i can lay it on the ground and people know where to drop the stakes and make it beautiful like a tent should be ive seen diagrams like that for the large but not medium and when i research it i find the manuals for the new kind of medium but not old kind
Setting up a GP(small OR medium!) is VERY easy! Seriously. Leave the tape measure at home Don't worry about a knot rope.. First- lay the tent out flat on the ground, and fold the side panels over onto the top, and pull into its perimeter shape. (Retangle, for medium, octagon for small) Make it as perfectly rectangular or octagonal as you can. Next, lay out the poles around that perimeter- One at each pole position, and have them straight out (perpendicular) from the tent. Place & drive a tent stake 2' to either side of the end of the pole away from the tent.(Corner pins line diagonal to tent) Then, pick a starting point- Usually a corner near an end, and push the pole rod(top end) through the hole with the grommet for the pole, and lift it erect. Grab the guy lines(which should already have slide adjusters on them), and slip one over each of the two stakes (If you preset the guy lines along the poles, and pre set the lengths, it goes up real quick). Pull the slide adjusters up to hold corner rigid. Go to the next pole along the side, longways, and do the same. Repeat the procedure the full way around the tent. You will find you now have the sides set! For a GP Small, you can now enter through the doorway, dragging the assembled centerpole: find the hole in the top for it, and manhandle it vertical. Then go around and tighten up the side guys. Don't forget to close or open the top flaps- Hopefully the rope isn't hung up or missing... With a medium, you will need an assistant to hoist the ridgepole & upright poles... But the procedure is pretty similar.

Oh yeah- REMEMBER! LONG poles are for the DOORWAYS... Shorter ones are for the sides...

I have done many of them this way, which is outlined in the instructions on the inside of one of the end flaps... That IS the military way- and no measuring necessary!

Scott

sergeant diessel
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by sergeant diessel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks the deal ended up being a bust so im still looking for a tent i found a picture of the measurements and ended up making a simple rope took to a few places i intend to seti it up and measured for fit .

Yes i probably will learn to hate. It but i outgrew my ten man artic tent. I do displays several times a year and it gets tiresome to move everything in and out of the tent and worry about rain and stuff the gp med i plan to partion a small sleeping area off and the rest. Use as a diisplay area. I feel rolling the sides up and down would be easier than moving stuff in and out of the ten man. About everytime i should be setting it up i should have approx 4 others to assist.

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”