Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
wreckless
Gee Addict

Those who missed out on the USMC Colt M45A1 pistols

Post by wreckless » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 am

Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Those who missed out on the USMC Colt M45A1 pistols

Post by m3bobby » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Is that a surplus gun sold off post service or a production overrun sold off direct to the civilian market? The Xd out USMC is very reminiscent of barred out markings on British surplus guns.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Surplus gun sold by Colt and accepted by the USMC. That particular pistol was NIB and unissued when it was demilled and sold. Certain commands in the USMC rejected them after service due to finish issues with wear. Colt replaced those pistols with ones having an Ionbond finish and later sold off the returned pistols with factory letters of authentication.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

VC-1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by VC-1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Am I the only one who likes the arched spring housing better than the flat? Worked with both, prefer the former. Interesting pistol there....

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 am

Blowing the photo up it looks to just be a pencil "X" over the USMC. I suppose one could merely refinish the slide and it would return to a service model appearance wise, but then it's only "unique" as it sits, go fire another .45 for fun save this one for collections to come.
It looks like my little Colt Commander I took to Panama on duty in '90 to which I added a lanyard retainer to, but I prefer bluing or at least something done about those ugly handgrip screws, they just stand out for some reason.

Not to argue the point, but a desert Tan (anything) will sure stand out in the hills of say Korea, or somewhere else there may be grassland/woodland, so does someone have a "kit" to refinish your gear in woodland should the call come? Oh that's on another boat...be there in a jiffy....right.
No, I get it it's "Sand" Colored as they come from the Sea, not the desert, now I understand. :lol:
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:43 am

Colt used a laser engraver to cross out the USMC. Just FWIW.
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

Return to “Weapons”