1919a4 replica build

Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee
1919a4 replica build

Post by mbatvburg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:41 am

Hello all,
I was inspired a while back to build a replica M2HB by topkicks thread. Using Top's idea and the advice of mmike I was able yo complete it with pretty darn good results.
So, what's the next step? Lets build another dummy machine gun! I figure this thread can be a place for ideas and progress pics similar to the 50 threads.
Here's some initial thoughts:
Much smaller than a 50!
Less rivets to booger up
Original parts are much cheaper than the M2. A complete parts kit 1919 is cheaper than just the m2 trunnion!
OK. Pics.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mbatvburg
Re: 1919a4 replica build

Post by mbatvburg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:49 am

Just figured I'd mention that my progress will probably be much slower than some of the other threads so feel free to post pics of your own builds.
I managed to find a nice grouping of junk demilled parts that include a large reciever section, pistol grips, barrel sections, etc. I figured I was going to repair some of these pieces but, they are pretty cool and will just use them for reference.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mmike
G-Major
G-Major

Post by mmike » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm not 1919 savvy but I like your thread already! Let me know if I can help you there. I already see some familiar sights on your table!

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 am

There is a 1919A4 build thread on you tube that shows how to make one out of foam board and PVC pipe. Once finished, it doesn't look too bad. Remember, when kept simple, it makes it easier for the average Joe to build it. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

mmike
G-Major
G-Major

Post by mmike » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:24 am

AMEN TopKick! Look what's happened to me while trying to KEEP things simple.....I complicated things for myself!

49T&C
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by 49T&C » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:23 pm

About the time I was fininshing up the 2nd M2HB using Topkick's drawings (crisp salute to Topkick by the way), I was a MVPA show. One of the vendors had laser cut right side plates for an M1919A4. I picked up the plate and started looking in the internet - to build a replica .30 cal. Many of the parts are readily available and at a price I could do in bite-size pieces. I wasn't looking forward to the layout ALL of the holes in the barrell jacket. This is what I found fromn Ohio Ordance Works:

Barrel buffer - $25.77
Top Cover - $30
Front sight (folding) $39.18
Back Plate (cast) $25.77
Barrel jacket $36.08

Fast delivery and quality parts & worth it to me in time to layout and drill all those holes.

So I have $156 in parts and a little time. I need to get the rear sight mount (hard to replicate) for $80 and a rear sight and the gun is complete. I'' try to get some pics up.

49T&C

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Those of us with OCD can only handle one TLA (three letter achronym) at a time. So KISS (4) is totally out of my thought process at this time. Although it does make a lot of sense. A 1919a4 build with its cheaper parts should be considered a gateway build in respect to its harder hitting brother the M2.
Most of the cosmetic parts are available bug it looks like the trunnion will be the key as with the 50....
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 pm

Looking to fabricate a new bottom plate. I don't have a St of blueprints to work with but do have an original receiver section. Looks like ill use 3/4 angle and a piece of 1 1/2 wide plate. Will have to do some cutting and shaping but I think it will work good
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mmike
G-Major
G-Major

Post by mmike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 pm

I've been carving out a left plate for you. Looks like you already have a right plate. I can't reproduce the grooves to align the trunnion and bottom plate but the profile will be correct. Let me know what else you might need for this while my torch is burning.

mmike
G-Major
G-Major

Post by mmike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I just noticed you have some left plate fragments to be welded together. Those are high carbon steel and the only thing that I've found that will successfully weld them back together is a 12018 stick electrode. It'll parkerize ok with that rod but if you use a nickel rod as some folks use the park won't stick to the repaired spot. I weld for a living so I've seen some challenges before. It will actually shrink a few thousanths while cooling so if you elect to weld this beast back together jig everything up as it will be assembled and force the weldable seam apart just a little bit then weld. Tolerances are tight here! The reweld fifties I've done have given me fits. The high carbon content makes for inclusions and cracks. When you hear the term 4130 or 4140 steel you look at the last two digits to assess the carbon content. The 30 is the highest carbon content that can be successfully welded. Anything more is a PIA to keep together. Preheating helps but the piece was never intended to be cut and welded back. We can do it though! Let me know if I can help you.
Mike

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Mike. I got the prints you sent as well. Let me know what you need for the plate and other goodies.
I got the left plate as part of the receiver section lot. It was welded before but is too far pitted in my opinion to be saved. I was going to use it for hole reference when I did finally hack out a left side plate. I won't be needing the relief cuts for the backplate and trunnion. Ill just grind the key ways off since the parts I have are repaired demils or homemade.

While I've got you on here, do you have any advice on locating barrel jacket holes for a homemade shroud? I've seen w
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 am

Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mmike
G-Major
G-Major

Post by mmike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am

WOW! That beast is going together fast! That's a good idea on the bottom plate too.

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 pm

What build pic isn't complete without a cold beverage????
I've got a nice repaired backplate with the small pistol grip. I also have a large pistol grip that has been cut at the buffer tube. I like the larger grip and will fabricate a backplate using stacked plates. Found a broken piece of a 46 Willy's transmission that will replace the buffer tube section that was cut.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Just need to add a sleeve to the buffer tube and then weld the plates together
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

Return to “Weapons”