just picked up a converto; sell or restore?

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

just picked up a converto; sell or restore?

Post by rondo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:47 am

I just found a converto while I was home visiting the family over the holidays. Restore or sell? I don't know much about these, except I've only ever seen 6 of them all unrestored. while I have a WW2 jeep long term project, i'm not sure about this converto. can they even be towed at speed behind one? how much do they cost to restore? this one needs the lunette and landing leg. other parts are there.

also i'm concerned about having too many unfinished projects around here. but I had to get this one, as the PO was going to cut it up for an off road trailer or something :roll:
Attachments
converto small pic1.JPG
converto small pic1.JPG (23.93 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
converto small pic.JPG
converto small pic.JPG (29.4 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: just picked up a converto; sell or restore?

Post by 17thAirborne » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 pm

In some regards the one i bought is in similar shape, some regards not. Mine has original rims, no lunette, no lights, no wiring, needs some of the tailgate hardware and leg and i will be into it for $1250-ish just for parts. nicely restored they are around$3000+/-

they are certainly far less common than 1/4 ton trailers, so keeping for later is a great option. If you restore it and tow it, you will be one of the few at events with one. Mine sits under cover 3rd in line for resto but am gathering parts over time.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 am

it sounds like you have a sweetheart there Oz
i'm used to being upside down on most all projects so IF they ever sell i'm sure to take a bath on it lol
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:17 am

rondo wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 am
it sounds like you have a sweetheart there Oz
i'm used to being upside down on most all projects so IF they ever sell i'm sure to take a bath on it lol
After your first post i was thinking about trailers and figure they are not money makers like the jeeps are (if you restore to invest in addition to the joy), but since there are not as many rolling around in a restored condition, it is such a bonus to the collector community every time some one fixes one up. Although i hate lose money on anything i sell when my interest changes, the trailers are, for some reason, a different story. i can't see anyone restoring them just for money, cause there ain't no money in it.😆 It truly sorts out the passionate MV'ers.

To some degree, I think most of us are upside down in almost all of our projects. As I told my wife, "I don't drink (too much), or gamble, but I do restore military vehicles." to which she replied, "You should drink heavily and go to Vegas in stead, we would save more money!"
Oz

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Nice Converto , and totally restorable! Once sandblasted, primered, and painted you will be glad you kept it. My Converto gets far more attention than any of my other trailers. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

philipgslattery
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by philipgslattery » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 am

TopKick a big welcome back. Your absence has been noted by members and has been a cause for concern.
It is good to see that you are alive and Kicking.
Philip

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 pm

philipgslattery wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 am
TopKick a big welcome back. Your absence has been noted by members and has been a cause for concern.
It is good to see that you are alive and Kicking.
Philip
Thanks Philip. Just kicking back a bit lately.
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:55 am

Rondo, Any progress on the converto? :)
Oz

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”