WWII Ben Hur side rack hardware repro project

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

WWII Ben Hur side rack hardware repro project

Post by SteveG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Well, my fabrication guy let me know that the steel parts he could make for the WWII Ben Hur side racks would come to about $360 plus shipping. We're not sure on one of the pieces yet, so he's not ready for production yet. There's over 30 pieces that he'll have to make, so there's lots of work to get them done. If he makes these, are any of you guys interested at that price? You'll pay him direct.

There's nothing in it for me, just helping him and whoever needs the pieces. I have three Ben Hurs and two of them have original racks. I have all the hardware for the third set of racks, including the few pieces I was missing, that he made for me. He'll make the copies from my original racks on my two trailers that have them.

Let me know if you're interested. I can post a couple of pics of the pieces he made for me already for my third set of racks, if someone wants to see them, but trust me, I'm real picky and he does nice work!

Steve

Zack Magnusson
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: WWII Ben Hur side rack hardware repro project

Post by Zack Magnusson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:17 am

I'd like to see photos of the reproduced parts. I don't need a whole set, but but do need several pieces to complete the set. Thanks Steve.

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 am

We haven't made all the pieces at this time. I've had a couple of inquiries so far. I don't want him to make them and then hope to sell them. I'll post some pics later today of the couple of pieces he made to finish my set. His work is pretty much dead-on to the original pieces. I know the price sounds like a lot, but he says it works out to about $9.50 each. Sounds cheap to me for all the work involved.

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 pm

OK. Here's a picture of the pieces I had him make that I was missing from my third set of racks. The one hook with screws and nuts still on it, is an original. The hooks hold the end panels to the side panels. The flat steel pieces are the ones that go on the end of the top bows. This is just a fraction of the pieces necessary to make a set of racks. I'm waiting on a quote for one part of the latch that holds the end panels to the side racks. These would be made by another company that can stamp them out. I should have that Friday. Those pieces have already been figured into the quote for $360. Hopefully, I figured their approx cost right...

I'm sure my fabrication guy can also make individual pieces, if you don't need full set, but some will be more due to their complexity.

ONCE AGAIN, THESE ITEMS PICTURED ARE ONLY A FRACTION OF THE PARTS YOU GET TO MAKE A SET OF RACKS. ALL OTHER PARTS WILL BE MADE TO THE SAME STANDARDS USING SOME ORIGINAL PIECES I HAVE FOR PATTERNS!

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm

He will also be making the parts added in this photo.

Zack Magnusson
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Zack Magnusson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 am

Wow. These look really nice. I'll check my stash an see what I'm missing.

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm still trying to get the latch handle cover piece made. It needs a press to
bend it. My fabricator is working on it. Will advise.

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Still hoping to get that latch cover made. That's the last piece we need in order to give you a full set of hardware. My guy has been gone for a while out of state and got back recently. I'm waiting for a progress update from him. Will advise as soon as I hear from him.

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 am

Sounds great!
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 am

The metal hardware is a lot of work, I did the same in our machine shop and made dies to form the brackets for the latches. Wish I had kept them. The cost to do this is not cheap
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Well, it appears that my guy isn't going to be able to make two of the pieces necessary to complete the hardware set. I'm sorry for getting the hopes up of those who were waiting to get these pieces. He can make all of the other pieces if you need some to finish your racks. I've posted a picture of the two parts he cannot make. The one on the left is the socket that holds the end panels in place (he had initially told me this one would be no problem) and the other is the cover plate that's bent over the latch handle. That one will take a die to form and he he's not able to do that. The bent round rod latch handle and base plate would be no problem. He's made those for me already.

I was pushing this project for two reasons: The first was to help my guy get some extra work and the second was to help people who needed rack hardware. Will advise if anything changes on this.

If you need some of the other pieces, let me know.

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:03 pm

The piece on the left could possibly be made of brass. I believe I have seen something like the part with the hole in it at the hardware store. A hole could be drilled into the brass at the appropriate location for the threaded bolt to be placed in. Thread the receptacle and the bolt end to allow it to be screwed in. The other part could be made by using some flatbar of the proper thickness. A grinder would do nicely to bevel the edges. The round part could easily be made by grinding it flat on one side and welding it to the flatbar. Drill two holes in the flatbar. Next, get a piece of steel rod and bend and cut it appropriately. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

33rdsignal
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 33rdsignal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 am

I am currently making the sockets. it is being made from bar stock. a lathe is being use to trim down the threaded section as well as threading it. It then goes to a milling machine to machine the flats. a hole is then drilled in it, and the radius is done on a grinder. Its pretty labor intensive.
Chad Phillips
33rd Signal Construction Battalion
https://www.facebook.com/33rdSignal

1943 Chevy K-43 (G7173)
1944 Truck Engineering Corp. 1 Ton Trailer (Wood)
1942 Dodge WC-52
1942 Willys MB

15T UH-60 Blackhawk Crew Chief, US Army 2000-2006

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:57 pm

SteveG ; That's a bummer about the last two parts that your friend can't make. I was definitely going to order a set of the metal parts as soon as you said it was possible. If Chad or someone else can make those two other parts I can order all the rest of the parts from your friend. Thanks for all the footwork you've done on this project.

Chad; If you can make the last two parts I'll purchase them from you if you're planning on making extra copies. Please let me know!

Thanks, Mike
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Mike,
If Topkick and Chad make those two parts they have the solution for, then we'll be set with all of it.
Steve

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”