Original ww2 105mm HE HOW round

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Original ww2 105mm HE HOW round

Post by mbatvburg » Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 am

Still have to check lot numbers to see if they match. 43 dates. Original yellow paint on the round itself. Cardboard packing tubes with end caps
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Original ww2 105mm HE HOW round

Post by 917601 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:59 am

Very nice. I see it has been fired, ( rotating band impressed with rifling). None the less, a quality piece. Is it for sale?

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Tue May 17, 2016 5:44 am

Didn't think about the band. Obviously a repaint then. Orimer has been struck. Not for sale. Just picked it up this weekend. Did I do alright for $150? Gunbroker prices are not that good to assess value.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by 917601 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 am

You dud very well. Hard to put a price on this stuff, a few years ago they were doorstops, today they are pricey collectors pieces. Most of these pieces " stay in the family" till they die, usually 20-30 years....then the kids sell them off as they have no interest. Being fairly new in this collecting, (5 years) I am amazed at the price increase I have seen. I would bet it would go for at least $300-350 plus? on GB. Nice find.....I recently picked up a complete factory inert loaded WW2 1943 dated 90mm M71 HE acquired by a worker from the Joliet Arsenal in WW2 ( nephew) I have been offered $500 plus for it....his uncle had said they gave out hundreds that failed dimensional checks to the workers, wonder where they all went?...on that note, many shell casings and projos are found without any stampings, he told me they were stamped only after they passed inspections, the failed ones were recycled or assembled and given out to workers, bond drives, museums.....also, they were only painted with lettering when they were loaded with explosive...which makes shells with original markings highly sought after.....it means they were down loaded for some reason....excess, outdated,demilled, or obsolete. Fascinating field to study and collect.

mbatvburg

Post by mbatvburg » Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 am

Very interesting area of collecting. Don't really have the space to start an ordnance collection but couldn't pass it up. Been making wooden projectiles for 75 pack howitzer casings but still don't have an original for it. Now to find a 105 howitzer to go with it!
I'm not far at all from Joliet. Buddies that live around there tell me they've got gobs of howitzer ammo crates from the old plant.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

Return to “Artillery”