75MM Pack Howitzer disassembly instructions

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
jhlalone313
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
75MM Pack Howitzer disassembly instructions

Post by jhlalone313 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Are there any links or videos of how to disassemble the pack how so I can do a ground up restoration mainly paint and getting things that should move to move. Elevation and traverse works flawlessly. Any help getting this information would be great.

James

Packhow75
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: 75MM Pack Howitzer disassembly instructions

Post by Packhow75 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 am

jhlalone313 wrote:Are there any links or videos of how to disassemble the pack how so I can do a ground up restoration mainly paint and getting things that should move to move. Elevation and traverse works flawlessly. Any help getting this information would be great.

James
I do this for mine... need to have at least two people... ideally 4 to make it really easy.

1) get handspike to unlock top cover - rotate nut through 90 degrees to slide top cover back
2) remove top cover
3) rotate tube to break threads with breech ring
4) Pull tube forwards and remove tube
5) Remove Breech ring/block assembly (you may want to make it lighter by removing the breech block assy first)
6) Unlock recoil assy at front end where it holds the piston, then using lifting poles, slide recoil assy backwards off the bottom slide (make sure elevation is set correctly to allow it to clear the break point mid trail, and mind fingers/poles when sliding back as they may catch the sight bracket)
7) use handspike to unlock mid trail latch
8 ) push down on front end of bottom slide - this lifts weight off the trail break point and splits the trail - move rear trail clear and then allow front trail to be lowered to the floor
9) unlatch bottom slide and lift off front trail
10) take weight of front trail, unlatch axle, rotate axle and roll on wheels clear of front trail - lower front trail to floor
11) remove locking pins from wheel hubs and remove wheels

Hope this helps.

Tim
Ford GPW, 10cwt Trailer, 75mm Pack Howitzer, M3A1 White Scout Car, M4A4 Sherman VC - s/n 4873

Return to “Artillery”