Finally a completed form 1

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
murphy
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Finally a completed form 1

Post by murphy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:40 pm

After 3 attempts over a year and a halfs time frame and multiple letter from the state to the feds I have a complete form 1 with the tax stamp on it so I can reactivate my 57mm antitank gun. Its a hassel but it can happen and its worth the effort!! So anyone who is getting run down by the bull you have to go thru its worth it! it can be done!! Now on to the few parts I still need I need the early style sight mount repo or original and even though most of the U.S, guns didn't have it, I hope to fire this thing and it looks a lot safer with this so, I'm hoping to find the hand wheel and gearbox for the mechanical taverse mechanism. anyone have one they want to sell? Thanks Murphy

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major
Re: Finally a completed form 1

Post by nirvana » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 am

Congrat. What sort of work needs to be done now? Barrel repair?

What sort of issues were the feds raising? It seems like this would be a pretty normal transaction.

murphy
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm in Iowa the feds said the Iowa law was not clear as to if they could be in private hands and as to what a historic weapon was I had to get a determination from the state as to whether one could be reactivated in Iowa without a destructive device ffl. It took a while, and was very difficult but was worth it. The barrel is done I made a tool to re rifle it since the bottom had some corrosion and all the rifleing there was filled with rust it worked really good cleaned it right up. now I just have to collect the few pieces I already spoke for and reassemble. just need the few things I listed thanks

tankanic
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by tankanic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:30 am

we went through the same process a few years ago with a 25mm anti tank gun. congrats on your form 1!! how about a picture of your re-rifling tool? I have a few ideas of how I would like to make one, just haven done it yet..
M29
M5A1
M18
M16A1

murphy
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Im not too good with getting pictures on here, but ill see if I can get it done. It was pretty simple actually I just machined a slug out of stress proof to fit the largest point of the lands (widest) I could measure. Then measured how much distance it took for a land to pitch (angle) .500 of an in. off of 90 degrees. Then measured how wide each land was then laid it out on the end of the machined slug cut it off the same length it took for the lands to turn the .500 in, laid out a new set of markings the .500 inch offset from the original marks transfering those to the other end of the slug, then measured out the width of the high parts of the riflings. Ground an end mill to as close to the measurement as possible set it in the vise at the correct angle in the mill and started cutting each land in the slug. I then put it back it the lathe cut the center down so I had two rows of small cutters about .375 long each took a grinder tapered then so they were sharp and only the leading edge would cut. Then machined it so the first set of cutters were 1/2 the depth of the lands so they would clean half the rust out first Then I bored it to .850 for an handle of .750 greased it so it would rotate and went to work!! Clear as mud isn't it!!!! It was kinda hard to explain it but it worked great I built it in an afternoon. You have to work it slowly or it dulls pretty quickly I had to sharpen it multiple times but other than the spots the rifleings were rusted clear gone it really cleaned them up!

tankanic
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by tankanic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:20 am

That is something I may have to try this winter! I have a mill and lathe but am FAR from a machinist. I be 85% of the dirt/rust came out of our in the first shot.
M29
M5A1
M18
M16A1

Return to “Artillery”