Wtk value of 81mm mortar bipod

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
Sikorsky502
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Wtk value of 81mm mortar bipod

Post by Sikorsky502 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:52 am

I found a vietnam era 81mm mortar bipod setup and repro. Barrel for sale at a army surplus store. Looks complete to me. They're asking $300 for it. Is it worth that? I'll have to get pictures later.
M901a1 ITV
M757 Ford

tranham
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: Wtk value of 81mm mortar bipod

Post by tranham » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 am

M1 or m29? Baseplate? Sounds like a fair deal even if your just getting the bipod.

Sikorsky502
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Sikorsky502 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the m29. The elevation mechanism and chain and everything is there. No baseplate though. There's baseplates on gunbroker.com and a sight on eBay. So 300 is a good price? I'll probably pick it up then.
M901a1 ITV
M757 Ford

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Rest assured that if you don't buy it someone else probably will. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

waterdawg2004
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by waterdawg2004 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Buy it, it is worth it. You can sell it here or on Gunbroker. Where on Gunbroker did you find them? I looked and did not find any. I have a 81mm round baseplate I was going to list but unsure how much they are worth?
1944 MB Jeep
37mm Gun, Antitank, M3A1 USA
French 25mm SA.L Model 1937
Replica Kubelwagen from VW Thing

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:52 am

Probably worth buying, but completing it is going to be impossible, basically. I would be surprised if more than 10 of these are registered in the U.S. Baseplates for this model are tough to find too. If it was me, I'd buy it, but I'm a mortar optimist. I've been piecing together a variety of these things for years, and parts turn up from time to time.

Sikorsky502
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Sikorsky502 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:41 pm

I found the round baseplates on gunbroker and one on ebay. Are those not the correct type for the m29? I just search for mortar or cannon on there and turns up some cool stuff. Saw 2 cannons today outside of what looked like a restraunt and bar in old saybrook, ct. They looked like the naval 3/50 ones. Wonder if they'd be willing to sell one. Lol
M901a1 ITV
M757 Ford

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:49 pm

The baseplates on gunbroker, if I remember right, are for the M252, the modern 81mm. The M3 is for the M29a1, the M3a1 is for the M252. They are pretty similar. The M29 uses an entirely different baseplate. The cups and tubes basically don't exist.

Like I said, still worth getting. Just in case. If nothing else, you can make a mock up mortar that looks real.

armament

Post by armament » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:52 pm

For $300, I definitely agree that the bipod is worth purchasing. If it is complete, and in good shape, it is easily worth $750-$1000.

On a separate, but related note, we've started a limited production run of the 81mm M29 tube/cup assembly. They will be identical to the original specifications, but for static display purposes only. We have an original registered live fire M29 that we are copying. It will be available on our website, along with all of the other reproduction & live fire mortars we will be offering...........US 60mm M2 and M19, US 81mm M1 style, Soviet 50mm and 5 different models of their 82mm mortars, the German 8cm GrW.34, among others. Along with lots of mortar ammunition of various calibers & types for both collecting and live fire.

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:27 am

So there is no intention to make a live fire M-29 tube/cup? That's a shame. I would likely get one.

Sikorsky502
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Sikorsky502 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 am

What's the website address? I'd like to learn more about mortars and possibly do a static display one. I know a live one must be registered, but not sure about what people use for ammo and what not. I'm in the process of starting a custom Mrap build based on a Halftrack rear track assembly, but everything else is modern. Think of it as a prototype recon vehicle and Id like to have a dismount mortar setup to have with it. You can follow my build on steelsoldiers. It'll be a process and take awhile, but it'll get done one day.
M901a1 ITV
M757 Ford

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Sikorsky502 wrote:What's the website address? I'd like to learn more about mortars and possibly do a static display one. I know a live one must be registered, but not sure about what people use for ammo and what not. I'm in the process of starting a custom Mrap build based on a Halftrack rear track assembly, but everything else is modern. Think of it as a prototype recon vehicle and Id like to have a dismount mortar setup to have with it. You can follow my build on steelsoldiers. It'll be a process and take awhile, but it'll get done one day.
Not to speak for Armament, but his website is http://www.ordnance.com I think its in the process of being updated. He also sells on Gunbroker.

armament

Post by armament » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Nirvana is correct, that is our website, but as he noted, it is nothing more than a place holder right now. We are working on launching the new site, and the "mortar section" will be the first functional area of the site. We hope to have the section up and going by the end of the year.

Nirvana.........regarding the live fire M29 tube/cup, it is something that we analyzed and gave some serious thought to, but in the end, decided not to do it for liability and retail cost reasons. The wall thickness in the bottoms of the grooves on the M29 tube is less than what we feel comfortable with, and the way that the cup interfaces with the tube is very unusual and time-consuming to machine (compared to standard mortar cups/tubes). In order to make it a worth-while project for us, the sales price would have to be at a point that we would probably not be able to sell any, somewhere around $5000. Not sure how many people out there would want one.........especially at that price point.

Spec4Don
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Spec4Don » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:36 am

I'm contemplating building an M21 halftrack mortar carrier. I'm looking for the baseplate that goes in the vehicle or plans and/or good pictures with dimensions. Also any help with interior pictures of the halftrack also. I'm working on getting a mortar right now.

Thanks Don G.
1942 M3 Halftrack Zelda MVPA # 31688
Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
Letorneau Model D-4 Airborne Scraper

Return to “Artillery”