75mm Pack Howitzer Help Needed

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
75mm Pack Howitzer Help Needed

Post by steve1973 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm in a unique situation. Our city has a pack 75mm howitzer in a park as a memorial. The city is in the process of renovating the area and memorial. My Dad belongs to a veteran's organization who has volunteered to do a cosmetic restoration on the gun including pain stripping, repainting and new tires. What I need help with is that it doesn't roll very well sitting for 30 years or so. My Dad want to pull the hubs and inspect, replace and repack the bearings to help move the gun around. What we need is the inner and outer oil seal, bearing and race numbers so that these items can be replaced as needed. I do not have a parts book for this gun. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 75mm Pack Howitzer Help Needed

Post by TopKick » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:08 am

Steve1973,
Here is a link to TM 9-1320. Take note of page #164. Best of luck to you. Hey, Please post some photos! 8)
-
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... pK9dbUiXeg
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: 75mm Pack Howitzer Help Needed

Post by mbatvburg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:43 am

I've been in this situation! Only I was missing the entire left wheel & hub assembly. The other side was stuck. I put a lot lots of PB or Kroil on/in the outer bearing and pumped the grease zerk on the back of the hub full. Then tow it around the block for awhile. Should break free enough to remove it and take apart.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

Return to “Artillery”