Question regarding transfer of 37mm Anti-tank gun

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
HaroldEiland
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Question regarding transfer of 37mm Anti-tank gun

Post by HaroldEiland » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:34 am

I've sold my 37mm anti-tank gun to a guy in Michigan. Form 4 says "the transfer.....and the interstate movement of that firearm when applicable".
Anyone had any experience moving one across state lines when purchased? Is it ok to do so?
Thanks,
Harold Eiland

M3 Antitank Gun
43 GPW Jeep
1919a4

boremax
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Question regarding transfer of 37mm Anti-tank gun

Post by boremax » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:33 am

ATF will usually allow transfer to
FFL who has a "Special Occupational
Tax stamp" (SOT). Boremax

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 am

I am assuming that the gun was recently registered by an individual, and it was not a C&R amnesty piece.

The general procedure is this: Two transfers will need to take place. Often, the buyer and seller split them, each paying one. This is part of the deal you need to work out.

1-There will need to be a dealer in his state to accept the gun, and you will do a Form 4 transfer to him, $200 tax paid. The dealer will need to be able to accept destructive devices. Not all dealers can do this, its kind of rare. Once the Form 4 is approved, you ship/transport the gun to the dealer. In the case of the 37mm, we are talking about the breach ring.

2-This dealer will then transfer the gun to the buyer. This will be another Form 4, at $200. When it is approved, the buyer picks up the ring/gun from the dealer. The deal is done. Dealer's usually charge for their services, and it is usually the buyer's responsibility to find the guy and pay for his time/services.

There is a second route that involves separating the gun from the barrel, unregistering it, registering it again, etc, and I'm not a fan of it. To each their own.

37mm40mm
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 37mm40mm » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Any 01 ffl can do two DD transfers per year
WWII arms

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:37 am

Would you also be required to do a form 3 dealer to dealer transfer? Or can a dealer in one state do a form 4 to a transferee in another state?
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Kevin Lockwood wrote:Would you also be required to do a form 3 dealer to dealer transfer? Or can a dealer in one state do a form 4 to a transferee in another state?
Form 3 is not needed here.

An individual can send it to a dealer in another state. The dealer then transfers to an individual in his state.

Dealers can only transfer to individuals in their state, or dealers in other states. They can accept from anyone.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Understood thanks for the clarification.
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 pm

This stuff is far more complicated than it should be, hence the confusion.

Form 3 is a tax free dealer to dealer transfer. Something like this would occur if the gun was already owned by a dealer or manufacturer and was being kept in his inventory for sale. Once the gun sold, it would be sent on a form 3 to a dealer in the buyers state. Then, it would to via a Form 4 to the buyer.

Since a Form 3 involves just dealers, they generally transfer faster than a form 4. Thus, a gun owned/sold by a dealer ends up in the buyers hands faster than a gun owned by a private individual, even when both transfers are taken into account. This is why you'll see people selling guns say things like "ready to go out on a form 3 asap."

HaroldEiland
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by HaroldEiland » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:30 pm

37mm is on Form 1 in Florida.
Should I remove the breach, apply for a form 4 transfer to a Class 3 dealer in Michigan and then let Joe pick up the rest of the gun?
Another thought. How could you convert the gun to a curio and relic, (if Joe were to get a C&R license)?
Harold Eiland

M3 Antitank Gun
43 GPW Jeep
1919a4

Loganr
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Loganr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi you can not convert a gun to a c&r it would need to all ready be on the list which would mean an all original gun registered on its original serial numbers.
If it's on a form 1 it means someone "made" the dd there and and registered it
Hope this helps best thing to do is find a dealer you trust subguns.com if you don't know one there

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Most cannon transfers involve removing the ring and transporting the carriage and barrel when the $$$ changes hands for the deal. The ring is transferred to the dealer when the BATF authorizes it and then the dealer has the buyer on the other end submit a form 4 to get acceptance from the dealer to transfer the final owner....
SUGGESTION: pack the ring in a METAL 5 gallon paint can and fold the tabs down and screw some of the tabs into the can with self-tapping screws....heavy but no chance of the heavy ring breaking through the container or being damaged. 37mm and 57mm rings will fit....
reenacting and WWII history

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:05 am

Strange all this dissassembly, shipping, etc.
Last 57mm I sold, (Intact, operable and registered in my name) the buyer sent his pre-signed paperwork to me, I signed and forwarded to BATF whereby (months later) he received the Tax stamp back from BATF, then it was his, and I was no longer owner. He sent a trailer (employed by him) out for the piece for transport. End of mission.

I don't see why extra dealears are involved in this transfer, as it's a DD, transfered at Federal Level. Perhaps someone is again envoking Class III transfer and shipping rules into the DD realm? Two different beasts with differing regs.
V/R W. Winget

Return to “Artillery”