Unit Markings for towed .50 cal Browning M2

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
signsup
banned

Unit Markings for towed .50 cal Browning M2

Post by signsup » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:44 am

I'm in the process of finishing and painting my home built .50 cal Browning M2 towed carriage. This photo inspired me, and, as I needed to get the weight of the .50 cal off my GPW and I had a spare MBT frame laying around, I cobbled something together.
My jeep is a tribute jeep to my father and father-in-law whom both served in WWII. The later in the 9th Air Force, 45th Air Depot Group and the former in the 2nd Army, Headquarters, Inspector General.

Presume, neither outfit would have one of these assigned to it.

The unit markings in the original photo are one option, but what other possibilities would there be for unit markings for this "piece"?

I'm thining just one 4" star on the center plate and unit markings on the fold up hinged drop down plate that would show in the travel position and not show in the firing position. No USA or Army markings, would that be somewhat correct as well? Suggestions or photos greatly appreciated.

I'll hang up and listen.
Attachments
machine gun cart 3.jpg
machine gun cart 3.jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 446 times
machine gun cart 1.jpg
machine gun cart 1.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Unit Markings for towed .50 cal Browning M2

Post by mbatvburg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:53 am

I'm surprised that there a bumper numbers on the original piece to begin with. I think you'd be fine marking it however you want. There are no correct, by the TM markings for a cobbled together German trailer/M2hb towed mounts!
Good work. Makes me want to start one.
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

signsup
banned

Re: Unit Markings for towed .50 cal Browning M2

Post by signsup » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:46 am

Noticed in the b/w photo that it is F-3 where the vehicle number would go on a jeep. Presume the 3 means that there are at least 2 others that were cobbled together. But what does the F stand for? Field piece?
Here's mine again getting closer to paint. Installed handbrake from Willys MBT trailer to one wheel cable. And shocks on the recoil legs are from an old GPW, one front and one rear. Just like the ordinance company would have scavengered from a bone yard or from the motor pool.
Attachments
50 CAL (5).JPG
50 CAL (5).JPG (29.65 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Return to “Artillery”