WW2 black powder Artillery idea

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee
WW2 black powder Artillery idea

Post by mbatvburg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:29 am

I've been doing a lot of reading on replica artillery and also BATF rules and regulations. Thinking of an idea for firing black powder from a replica artillery piece to simulate loading and unloading like an original piece. The concept would use "thundermugs". Basically a small cannon itself fired by a musket cap via a slap hammer. The thundermug and percussion cap ignition system are antique and not covered by NFA/destructive device. The cannon barrel is smooth bore and the breech assembly do not close fully and the breech lock would only hold the mug in place during firing. Please forgive me for misspelling breech in the "paint blueprint". I was in a hurry.

Any thoughts on this setup? Legality? Safety? I have many years of experience with black powder muskets and also full size Civil war artillery. Just brainstorming. Would like to come up with a system that will look good, sound good, and give a gun crew a more accurate experience without the expense of destructive device and let down of a propane pop.

Let the discussion begin
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

Packhow75

Re: WW2 black powder Artillery idea

Post by Packhow75 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:20 am

Making something that recoils when fired would be a nice touch too!
Ford GPW, 10cwt Trailer, 75mm Pack Howitzer, M3A1 White Scout Car, M4A4 Sherman VC - s/n 4873

Return to “Artillery”