75mm Pack Howitzer

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
vol923
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
75mm Pack Howitzer

Post by vol923 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 am

I volunteer at the USAF Dover AFB Museum (www.amcmuseum.org), where we are re-equipping a D-Day veteran C-47 as it was configured 70 yrs ago for airdrop. We have a M9A2 'paracaisson' on display, and need the fiber containers that held the 75mm ammo. Are there any out there? Also looking for the M19 training round or an inert M48 HE round to round out the display.

Packhow75
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: 75mm Pack Howitzer

Post by Packhow75 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:18 am

vol923 wrote:I volunteer at the USAF Dover AFB Museum (http://www.amcmuseum.org), where we are re-equipping a D-Day veteran C-47 as it was configured 70 yrs ago for airdrop. We have a M9A2 'paracaisson' on display, and need the fiber containers that held the 75mm ammo. Are there any out there? Also looking for the M19 training round or an inert M48 HE round to round out the display.
Re Fibre Containers.

How much money do you have?

I can probably get you some real ones - I know someone in Italy who had some for sale - they were approx 150 US Dollars each tube so I didnt buy them - I though this far far far too expensive!

Do you really need real ones - I use cardboard tube painted black - if inside the cloverleaf fittings you dont need the end-cap on the fibre container to be correct, and where the join between the bottom section of the tube should be and the cap, you get around this by adding the tape... unless very closely scruitinised by someone who knows what they are looking at, most punters will never know.

If you want something a bit better, then a friend of mine (in the UK) is making some for movie props at the moment - these will have the detail on the end caps and pull apart (I've supplied him parts to copy)... no idea what the cost would be for him to make more than those commissioned but can ask him.

Let me know if you want me to either track down the chap in Italy, or ask my friend in the UK.

All fibre containers which have come my way at a sensible price are now in my collection (and not for sale).

Tim
Ford GPW, 10cwt Trailer, 75mm Pack Howitzer, M3A1 White Scout Car, M4A4 Sherman VC - s/n 4873

vol923
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by vol923 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:06 am

Thx much, Tim; appreciate it. Thought about making replicas; can you say length/width of an original tube?
Also, do you have an image of the text on an end cap? Folks won't get close enuf to read them, so representational data would be OK.

R/Bob

vol923
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by vol923 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:09 am

And we've also just loaded a M5A2 paracrate (which held the howitzer's barrel) into a 'pararack' on our C-47; is there a way to upload pix to this site?

Packhow75

Post by Packhow75 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:12 am

vol923 wrote:Thx much, Tim; appreciate it. Thought about making replicas; can you say length/width of an original tube?
Also, do you have an image of the text on an end cap? Folks won't get close enuf to read them, so representational data would be OK.

R/Bob
Speak to Eric - here - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=236658

He may have an original end-cap or two you can buy... these could then be glued to your carpet tube?

Failing that, I will send you some pics.

Tim
Ford GPW, 10cwt Trailer, 75mm Pack Howitzer, M3A1 White Scout Car, M4A4 Sherman VC - s/n 4873

vol923
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by vol923 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 am

Shot him a note, and got an image of an end cap. Thx for the gouge, pal.

R/Bob

phantomfixer

Post by phantomfixer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Here is the completed ammo container at the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB, DE

USAF retired
Bantam BT-3
1946 2A

Return to “Artillery”