artillery paint?

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

artillery paint?

Post by bobc » Sun May 25, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm starting to build a passible representation of a 57MM antitank gun, wouldn't pass muster at any MV show but for dragging behind the half-track at local parades and car shows it will be more the adequate. As with all my projects I try to get them as close to proper as possible to the actual thing. Most of the artillery I see have been painted a glossy OD, I'm not sure if thats because it's mostly being displayed at armories or museums and glossy paint holds up much better then flat paint or if this is what the military actually paint this type of equipment with. So what is the opinion of the owners of towed artillery? Glossy or Flat, or maybe something in between?
M-2-A-1 White half-track, 41 CCKW SWB (yard truck), hoping to start working on my G-506 open cab.

Tankdriver
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: artillery paint?

Post by Tankdriver » Mon May 26, 2014 6:18 am

From what Marshall at Ordnance.com tells me, the darker, glossy paint is the correct color for WW2 stuff, and he should know....
1943 WC63...1942 M3 Autocar...1944 M3A1 Diamond T...1942 57mm Anti-Tank

Have owned...M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored...M20

MVPA Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors... https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/

P.W.Browning
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: artillery paint?

Post by P.W.Browning » Mon May 26, 2014 6:36 am

Why don't you contact TM9 Ordnance Products? They've done more research into the correct colors than anyone.

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/

I don't buy into the dark, glossy line of thinking.

This barrel sure doesn't look dark or glossy...

Return to “Artillery”