Inert ordnance/ammunition importation

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
Ralph Lovett
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Inert ordnance/ammunition importation

Post by Ralph Lovett » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 am

With the availability of inert ordnance (Shell cases, projectiles, fuzes, primer trains) on the forum (and other places on the internet such as Ebay and Gun Broker) it is probably a good time to mention that in the US, ATF Imports has recently reinterpreted the rules regarding import of Inert Ordnance.
Any Post-1898 inert ordnance importation is now prohibited. This means WW1 and WW2 shell cases, projectiles and fuzes. As I understand it from ATF Imports, only modern ordnance that has a current military or police application can be imported with an approved ATF Form-6. This leaves no legal way to bring in collectable inert ordnance from the WW1 and WW2 Eras. This also seems to include pre-1898 inert ordnance that continued into production past 1898. In other words almost all WW1 Era Ordnance. I found this out the hard way, having a large collection of Inert WW1 shell cases, projectiles, and fuzes confiscated about a year ago as they were imported from the UK to the US. This was despite the shipment being correctly labeled and declared. ATF Imports has told me that the only post-1898 exception is inert ordnance/ammunition that is sectioned by cutting lengthwise and disposing of the cut out section.
As I understand it, ownership of Inert Ordnance and shipment of Inert Ordnance within the US is still legal, just not importation into the US from any other nation.
In the case of my former 7,7cm lFK 1898 n/A, 10,5cm lFH 1898/09 Inert shell cases, Inert projectiles, and Inert fuzes from the UK deal; I was able to work out an agreement with ATF and US Customs to turn them over to the US Army, Artillery Museum at Fort Sill. At least that way, these historic pieces were not destroyed.
If you have questions about this sort of thing, contact information for ATF Imports is available at this link:

http://www.atf.gov/contact/service-centers/index.html
Not the greatest news in the world, but I hope this is at least helpful

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Inert ordnance/ammunition importation

Post by AZ Jeff » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 am

MODERATOR -- please make this a sticky

Thank you Ralph. I saw a photo of the seized ordnance last year and it was clearly restored collector pieces. Sorry to hear that it was your's...

Jeff Q,
AZ

waterdawg2004
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by waterdawg2004 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Bummer, I tried to get some 4.5 British howitzer shells last year from England, it is a good thing the dealer could not find anyway to ship, he said they where too heavy. I had bought some from Canada a few years back but it looks like that will not work any more either.
1944 MB Jeep
37mm Gun, Antitank, M3A1 USA
French 25mm SA.L Model 1937
Replica Kubelwagen from VW Thing

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:15 am

WOW! We can all breathe a little easier knowing nobody will use these "assault" ordnance pieces to hold up liquor stores, get payback for disrespecting, or settle cockfight debts.... AND I'M NOT PAYING 'CAUSE THAT DUDE'S BIRD WAS ON THE JUICE!
John K. Seidts RN:
Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

Return to “Artillery”