Rescue of "abandoned" artilley

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
Humbermk4
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Rescue of "abandoned" artilley

Post by Humbermk4 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 am

Theoretically speaking... if you came across a VFW post that was closing down and had a WW2 era artillery piece sitting out front, how cold you legally rescue it?

I know that many such pieces are still owned by the Army and once it comes to their attention, they may come get it.Other pieces had been purchased and are legally separated from the government.

Is there a way to check the gun's serial number with some department to see what it's status is?

Next, has anyone else also found an "orphan" and what paperwork did you go through to obtain it - legally?

Thanks!
Jim

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Rescue of "abandoned" artilley

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm

The display weapons are permanent US Army property. They Army gets quite aggressive when their permanent property gets misappropriated. Best to resist the temptation. Contact TACOM, they will set you straight.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Follow them to the scrap yard. :-) then buy them as scrap.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:54 am

I fully disagree with Ben Dovers statement that all pieces are US Army material. Many pieces were brought back by indivudual State Guard units after the wars and placed on displays or disposed of/moved to local VFW's as they saw fit.

There was no massive controlling source for the one's the government did ship back as trophys until the mid 90's when the Clintonian State formed and decided they wanted to ban and control anything that could be used against them in their quest for domination.

So basically the gov types then started running around tagging everything that looked like a weapon as former army property, in many cases having no record of the pieces or their orgins.

Bannerman imported and sold artillery outright to the public....what's the US Govt have to do with those?

So I would not say all the pieces out there are US Army, etc. I would tell you that most have been tagged for return to the CMH, and their ultimate disposition will be the scrap yard if they are not in excellent shape, as there's zero funds to restore them and re-issue them to someone that cares.
V/R W. Winget

dwing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by dwing » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am

Bill Flemming of HK sear fame brought back many US M3 37MM anti tank guns and 75MM guns and rings. I know the discussion is US pieces, but think about all of the bofors, lahtis, solothurns, etc that were brought back pre 68. Same thing true of US guns. In decades past scrap yards often had US guns in them as well. I am a young guy, but I have even seen guns (cannons) in scrap yards.
If your gun doesn't leak oil, it's time for a bigger gun.

SteveM8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by SteveM8 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Buy it if you find it. Remove the breech ring and move it to another location. Then apply to make a firearm - form one I believe. The government does not have the records it needs to make a case. You do not have much to fear.

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:35 pm

SteveM8 is correct. now if I could find a M67 90mm to do that with.. I know where a few nice units are here but would be hard to bring back into the states.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

Humbermk4
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Humbermk4 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:49 am

(sigh) it is a 76mm. and TACOM has it on their list already.... In fact, they are a bit concerned that the state National Guard has yet to pick it up.

The good news is that they are happy to send out the application for a veteran's related organization to apply for custody.

Haven't seen the application yet to see if the barr is too high for our club to qualify or not. In any event, we would rather secure a 57mm instead of this big boy.

Thanks for the replies folks!

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:25 pm

There was no massive controlling source for the one's the government did ship back as trophys until the mid 90's when the Clintonian State formed and decided they wanted to ban and control anything that could be used against them in their quest for domination.
Thanks for the laughs! :D
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

Return to “Artillery”