Managed to find a few more items for the howitzer. In the photo below on the right you will see two of the elevation gears. The used one is Canadian marked, while the NOS one is US made. Kind of leaves me in a quandary as to which one to use. Also to the right of them is the rearmost elevation handwheel, also Canadian marked.
Also in that photo is the toolkit for filling and servicing the recouperator. This is an earlier kit than I am used to. Most of it is NOS from the 50s, and there are still tags present from that era. Also in the photo is a few other misc tools, a spring scale, a pull-back quick release tool, a wrench for a 106 recoiless (I believe) and as well a part of a Bofors 40mm bore gauge.
The tool box itself is quite nice, and with leather latch straps. They don't make em like that anymore.
And here, as promised earlier, is a shot of the towing lights which I recently acquired. Canada is moving the lights onto the shields, which I think may be a mistake. We already had vehicles run into the barrels, and that was when the lights were mounted at the muzzle. With the lights on the shields, there is even more likelihood that the drivers behind will not take into consideration a barrel sticking 6 feet out at eye level.
We also started on the second version of the barrel. Again it started out as a Leopard barrel. This time I got the actual military drawings for the M2A2 barrel, so we will be able to cut a chamber and the breech threads. Anyway, here goes a quick series of shots on the barrel turning.
It is a lot more time consuming making a proper barrel over the last one we did where we were not concerned with a lot of the measurements. We spent about 16 hours on this one, and likely have another 10 hours to go. Them biggest difference on this barrel over the last one is that I have moved the work forward on the leopard barrel so we have completely cleared the leopard chamber, which is different from the 105 howitzer. As well, there is a lot of throat erosion on this barrel, so hopefully the cutting of the new chamber will clean up the scoring in that area.
As well, I took a stab at straightening out one of the main shield brackets. Sure enough I had to break the welds and disassemble part of it. I only tack welded it back for now, but the shield appears to be properly aligned. I will take apart the second main shield bracket (and take photos this time) and also tack weld it so I can check out the alignment. If they are out a bit, I should be able to "steer" the angle of the bracket by welding one side first and letting it shrink.
The worst of winter should be over, and I can't wait to get back out to the sandblasting and painting.