Canadian C1 105mm Howitzer

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Canadian C1 105mm Howitzer

Post by cmpman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Someone from the USA already tried, but after almost a year and a half had his import certificates denied by the US State department. If you are in Canada, it should not be a problem, but if you are going to try and bring it South to the US, it sounds like it is a dead end.

mh6x6
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by mh6x6 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:28 am

is export out of Canada a problem as i would like to bring it to New Zealand import in to NZ is not a problem all we have to do is advise barrel number

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm

There would be no barrel number to report, I'm afraid. All that is left at the scrapyard is a pair of trails (bent) the lunnette piece, the axle, the equalizer bar, the upper casting, the sled, portions of the equilibrator, the elevation arcs, a couple of center shields, the trail pins and main pin, a traverse mechanism, a couple of the hub/drums and one backing plate. While it sure beats trying to make them from scratch, I am not so sure they would be worth the effort to ship half way across the world all thing considered. There is a complete one listed right now at the cannon superstore somewhere in Europe for around $17K if I recall. I'm pretty sure you would be a lot better off dollar wise going that route. Note that we are located in the geographical center of North America, and it's a very wide country. You would be spending thousands just getting it to a port.

The parts would possibly fall under controlled goods act in Canada, which is primarily about controlling exports. I cannot say if they would cause a problem or not. I have imported stuff before and gone through the paperwork with them, and it was pretty easy.

mh6x6
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by mh6x6 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:16 pm

what does the seller want for all that and also my neighbor imports a lot of machinery from Canada so freighting is not so much of a problem and is willing to provide space in a container also are there other sections leopard barrel as that would be useful

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 pm

cmpman wrote:Made a little headway on the telescope situation, scoring another Cdn panoramic.

My search list is down to about 10 items which I run on a google search every now and then. A couple months ago my search worked and I found the brake bands, new in the box, available on ebay. I then searched a little harder and found the brake wedges and springs available from a company in Taiwan....ordered them and had them in my hand a week later. Not cheap, but I now have everything to install brakes into the C1.

When a M10 ammunition trailer happened through my yard this summer, I noticed the brake system was the same, in case anyone else working on an M2A2 is looking for these parts.

Too cold out in the shop to install the brake parts....they can wait until the spring.
Do you have a source for thes parts? I have an M10 trailer that is in need of these parts.
Thanks,
Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 pm

I got the shoes off ebay, but the fellow only had 4 of them, which myself and another fellow bought. The springs (#13)and wedges (#12) I bought from Wayne's machinery in Taiwan. These are new manufacture so not surplus prices. Good thing is that I had them within the week. The shafts (#11 in the parts diagram) are on ebay for $5.99 each.

Parts no 3,4,5 & 6 come with the shoes.

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:01 pm

As part of a package deal for another piece, I ended up with the remainder of the 105 parts from the scrapyard. Here are some photos. You may see the slight bend to the left trail.....you cannot miss the bend on the right. Thanks to recent changes in the Canadian controlled goods regulations, they only control howitzers, mortars etc that were first introduced after 1946, so this pile of parts is available for easy export out of Canada.

Last edited by cmpman on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mh6x6
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by mh6x6 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:12 am

thanks for posting the pics

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:53 pm

What's the latest? How's it looking?

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:06 pm

I just sandblasted and painted the small parts I found last fall. I was planning on pulling it out tomorrow and installing them. If I do, I'll be sure and provide photos.

Still one shaft to find yet, but I am patient. And of course I am still hoping to find a breech ring at some point.

The extra parts pile I showed a few posts back is still available as well. MH6x6 had committed to buying them, but there has been nothing heard from him since December.

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:53 pm

I look forward to seeing the update!

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:30 pm

I only managed to get it pulled outside tonight, and got a couple of the smaller jobs done before it got dark out. Here is the gun waiting for work:

First job was to remove the plumber strapping and replace it with the proper caps for the traverse mechanism.

Next was to install the travel latch. This helps stabilize the sled,cradle and barrel during travel, and relieves the stress from the cradle.

Next job was to replace the large nut that I made way back on page 1 with an original. A small allen head screw is used to retain the nut.

I previously used an upper retaining washer in place of the lower on the large shaft that runs between the equalizer bar and the upper casting. This is now removed and the proper smaller one installed in that location.

As you can see by the last photo, it was starting to get too dark to go much further. Next job is going to be the installation of the gear to allow the first handwheel to elevate the gun. Stay tuned.

Viper8
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Viper8 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:13 am

Wow. Just an impressive, impressive job and a SPECTACULAR looking howitzer! Thank you for sharing the project - quite a testament to perseverance and vision.

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Any updates?

Return to “Artillery”