Re: Canadian C1 105mm Howitzer

Post by Packhow75 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 am

Panoramic Telescope CDN No 1 Mk2
Panoramic-CDN-No1-Mk2-Sn-557-1.jpg
(215.51 KiB) Downloaded 2290 times

Panoramic-CDN-No1-Mk2-Sn-557-2.jpg
(183.93 KiB) Downloaded 2290 times
Tim
Ford GPW, 10cwt Trailer, 75mm Pack Howitzer, M3A1 White Scout Car, M4A4 Sherman VC - s/n 4873

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 am

Deal's been struck, and I await this item showing up. Thanks packhow.

I will have to find two more of them down the road to fill the stowage boxes. Hopefully when Canada finally retires the 105 howitzers (Both the C1 and C3 model) some of these scopes may find their way to market.

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Been a while since any updates. I have had no luck finding any more of the mechanical stuff, but I have picked up a few more accessories.
The delivery man showed up the other day with my parcel from Packhow75: the elusive C1mk2 telescope. It is in need of a few mior repairs, but I believe the bottom half of one of my US scopes will provide the parts I need.
From gunparts.com, I got in a couple of the holders for the aiming posts. These are made of the more modern ripstop vinyl as opposed to the older canvas. Most howitzers you see in photos have the aiming posts showing along the trails, however they actually belong in this canvas case.
From ebay, I also picked up a muzzle cover, although this one is actually German. I have missed out on a few of the proper ones on kijiji, but a real one will come my way yet.
While my 3/4 ton Ram pickup is more than capable of towing the C1, it doesn't look quite right, so I picked up this M135Cdn. It is still in it's original semi gloss olive, and in the end will get the markings to be of the same era as the gun. I just got it running the other day, and had her for a spin today in the -14°C temperatures.

Packhow75
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Packhow75 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 am

cmpman wrote:Been a while since any updates. I have had no luck finding any more of the mechanical stuff, but I have picked up a few more accessories.
The delivery man showed up the other day with my parcel from Packhow75: the elusive C1mk2 telescope. It is in need of a few mior repairs, but I believe the bottom half of one of my US scopes will provide the parts I need.

Looks better there than in my shed!

Hadnt realised it needed any work though.

Glad it arrived ok.

Cheers

Tim
Ford GPW, 10cwt Trailer, 75mm Pack Howitzer, M3A1 White Scout Car, M4A4 Sherman VC - s/n 4873

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:37 am

Not worried about the scope work...I enjoy taking apart the FCS equipment. It gives a real sense of satisfaction when you finally re-assemble it and have not lost a lot of small parts.

The shaft for the traverse on the scope was bent a bit. I straightened it out reasonably for now, but will get it properly repaired down the road a bit. At the same time, I'll strip the whole unit down and get it a repaint. I am just happy to finally have the Canadian telescope in hand.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am

How is it coming along. Hard to believe it's been a year.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Made a little headway on the telescope situation, scoring another Cdn panoramic.

My search list is down to about 10 items which I run on a google search every now and then. A couple months ago my search worked and I found the brake bands, new in the box, available on ebay. I then searched a little harder and found the brake wedges and springs available from a company in Taiwan....ordered them and had them in my hand a week later. Not cheap, but I now have everything to install brakes into the C1.

When a M10 ammunition trailer happened through my yard this summer, I noticed the brake system was the same, in case anyone else working on an M2A2 is looking for these parts.

Too cold out in the shop to install the brake parts....they can wait until the spring.

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 am

What's the latest on this?

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Not much new. I got my prime mover, a M135 Cdn w/w painted up for an up coming display next week. The gun will look better behind the old deuce than behind my old white dodge.

I have my M-4 being repaired, so the quadrant is taken care of if all goes well. As you can see in the following photos, I still need some of the elevation gear, along with the travel lock latch, and of course, a demilled breech ring.

I have actually been devoting most of my time though to my Bren gun carrier this season. Winter did not want to end, so the repair season has been short.

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

Very nice, well done!

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:46 pm

So I had a good display this summer with the gun, even ran it through some parades at the event. I did manage to get a local guy to rebuild my M4A1 fire control quadrant, so it is now in place. Then nothing.

I have the gun put away in the quonset for the upcoming winter. We have experienced a little bit of Indian summer, with temps pretty much as hot as we ever saw this year, so today I headed back out to my favorite scrapyard looking for something completely unrelated to artillery. In one of the older sheds, underneath a crate of old 1952 running shoes, I spotted two telescope boxes for the front shields. They were a little rusty on the outside, and one was quite heavy, so I found a screwdriver and popped the lid open. Inside I was quite pleased to find 6 of the things on my list of 9 items still needed for this project, along with two or three items that will replace earlier copies.

Thanks to this find I will be able to elevate the gun with the forward hand wheel. I found two of the shafts I needed. I still have to find the rear shaft that goes through the cradle. Up to now I was having to elevate and depress using a ratchet and a socket, which was not fast.

As well I found the trunnion caps for the traverse, the cover for my rear gearbox, and the latch for the travel lock. There are also a bunch of smaller non-critical items like some special screws and spacers.

I will also get to replace my large nut on the equalizer, as well as a home made support bar for the upper shields. Not sure I will get all this done before the snow flies, as other projects are in the works, but at least I have these pieces. To think I spotted them amongst acres and acres, and shed after shed of scrap.
Last edited by cmpman on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:15 pm

And for your viewing here are a couple photos of a Canadian C3 howitzer which was used to cure a driver of his tailgating. Note the C3 ,which is a modified C1 (M2A2) has the longer barrel, as well as the larger 11,00x20 (or the metric equivalent) radial tires. There were a lot of other modifications to the earlier gun to support the longer barrel. Since this accident, the Canadian Military has moved the lights from the barrel mounts down to the lower shields.

dwing

Post by dwing » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:04 pm

That is awesome
If your gun doesn't leak oil, it's time for a bigger gun.

cmpman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by cmpman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:29 pm

The last shaft I need is a 3040-00-556-9014 (or ordnance number 5569014), which is the shaft, shouldered, elevation. If someone has one of these kicking around their shed, I could sure use it. That would let me finish up this project (other than the breech ring and block, but those will come in time).

mh6x6
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by mh6x6 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 am

hey i see you mentioned that there may be another gun dismantled where you got yours from is there any chance of buying it ?

Return to “Artillery”